Copycat Recipe: Chipotle’s Vegetarian Black Beans

This post is part of a series. We’re building Chipotle’s Burrito Bowls, one recipe at a time. We’ve already covered Cilantro Lime Rice. Today we’re making Chipotle’s Vegetarian Black Beans.

You won’t believe how easy these are to make. They would make a wonderful 15 minute dinner served over rice, along with a salad. You could also use them to make quesadillas or dip with chips.

Chipotle Vegetarian Black Beans Ingredients

• 2 cans black beans, 1 drained and 1 undrained
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/8 tsp. allspice
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. sugar

Cooking Directions

{Step 1} Pour the beans into a small saucepan.

{Step 2} Stir in the other ingredients.

{Step 3} Heat over medium heat until hot.  Makes about 7 servings.

Restaurant At Home Comparison

The recipe makes about 7 servings and ingredients will cost around $2.  You will have to pick up a couple cans of the black beans and the garlic but you should find all the spices in your pantry.

To buy 7 sides at Chipotle would cost $5.60.  So less than half the cost, plus you save the gas to drive to the restaurant.

I’m pretty sure these are going to become a regular menu item in our house! Next up in our Chipotle Burrito Bowl series is Adobo Marinated Chicken. Don’t miss it!

Tiffany King writes the blog, Eat at Home. She shares easy recipes as well as printable menus with complete grocery lists. There are over two years’ worth of menus available for free. She focuses on common and frugal ingredients to make meals that are family friendly and quick to fix. Tiffany is also the author of Feast in 15, an eBook of 15 minute meals.

by Savings Lifestyle: Tiffany on March 07, 2012

• Katie - March 07, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

Yum! Thanks! Can you add a link to your Cilantro Lime Rice recipe? That would be super helpful!

• nikki - March 07, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

how would you make it with dried beans…in the crockpot would be great…

• Savings Lifestyle: Tiffany - March 08, 2012 @ 1:22 pm
      2.1

I’ve never cooked black beans from dried beans before. I just cheat with the cans ;) But I think that Stephanie O’dea has a recipe on her site A Year of Slow Cooking. I’m sure it could be adapted with the spices in this recipe.

• alex - March 31, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

Ive been to Chipotle over 100 times..
    And yes that means Ive spent over 600 dollars!!!!!

One thing I saw in the black beans was a dried leaf that seasoned the beans. I dont know what they are called right now but they have a pretty strong flavor. :)

• Tiffany - April 22, 2013 @ 2:14 pm
      3.1

Alex, I bet it was a bay leaf. That sounds like a good addition to the seasonings!

• Heather - June 02, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

I’m a Chipotle addict. I could never figure the right salt/spice mix but yours is perfect! Added it to my old crock pot black bean recipe and it was spot on–1/2 minced yellow onion, 4 cloves minced garlic, 2 minced jalapenos, 1 bay leaf, and (after 6 -8 hours on low in the crock pot) 1/4 cup minced cilantro.

• Amy - October 15, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

I’ve been to Chipotle, but never had their black beans. I was looking for a black bean side dish and found yours on Pinterest. I’ve made it 2 times since and my family of 4 (especially my 2 1/2 year old) love it. It is so, so simple and incredibly delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

• DawnT - July 13, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

On the restaurant’s website it mentions oregano.