Making a Grave Site Winter Blanket

Fwd: Grave Blanket

If you have a loved one in need of a grave covering during the winter season, this is a beautiful thing to do and it is much cheaper than buying one! Aunt Mary always makes my Dad’s Grave Blanket and she’s showing you how to make one as well!

I make about four of these every year to place on loved ones graves. If I bought them I would spend over $150, and this time of year who really has the extra money? The satisfaction, joy and overall good feeling that you get, well, you can’t put a price tag on that.

The one will go to my brother-in-law, John, Andrea’s dad. My sister, Ruth wanted blue and silver (blue for John’s eyes and silver because Ruth loves silver) I hope you enjoy this and will want to try and make one for yourself.

Before starting this project, check with the Cemetery to see if they allow these types of grave blankets. Some won’t allow them so just double check. Most cemeteries allow these to stay on the grave until March or a little after.

Grave Blanket Necessary Materials

• Chicken Wire,  2′ x 4′ PieceThis will make a large blanket 4′ x 6′, which will cover the entire grave. You can use a 1′ x 2′ wire to make a smaller one as a Grave Pillow. This is done the exact same way only smaller.
  • Evergreen, assortmentYou can use any assortment of evergreen, you can find these at your local nursery for sale, I was able to pick them from my yard.  I used Ewe, White Pine, Blue Spruce and Cedar (in that order). For a 4′ x 6′, I collected the following::: 20 branches 4-5 inches long of Ewe
    :: 10-12 branches 4-5 inches long of White Pine
    :: 6-8 branches 2-3 inches long of Blue Spruce
    :: 6-8 branches 1-2 inches long of Cedar
  • Wired Ribbon (18′ long), Ornaments or DecorationsAny wired ribbon about 18 inches long and an assortment of ornaments or any other decorations. You can also buy the ribbon already made into a bow. Most craft stores usually have ribbon 50% off this time of year.

DIY Steps

Grave Blanket DIY - Steps 1-2Grave Blanket DIY - Steps 3-4

{Step 1}

Take your longest evergreen (Ewe) and begin to weave the stem in and out of the wire. I started at each end and worked my way around.

{Step 2}

Finish weaving the first layer of the evergreen (shown above)

{Step 3}

Start to layer the second layer of evergreen by weaving in and out on top of the first layer (White Pine). Then layer the third on top of the first and second (Blue Spruce).  Keep in mind that every layer you do, weave it in and out going toward the center of the chicken wire with each layer.

{Step 4}

Finish with your smallest evergreen in the center of the wire (Cedar).

Fwd: Grave Blanket

The finished product! Add your ribbon to the center of the Grave Blanket, as well as any decorations. Pick the blanket up from underneath supporting both ends of the wire and place on the grave. This should be very sturdy and will lay very nice.

If you have trouble or would like more help, please leave a comment and I will be glad to offer more assistance!

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on December 30, 2010

• Sheila - December 30, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

Thos look so nice!

• Jennifer - December 30, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

I had never heard of a grave blanket …But it is Beautiful!

• Stacey Carter - December 30, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

This is gorgeous. I have bought for my grandparents grave but never thought to make them. You did a lovely job.

• Aunt Mary - December 30, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

Thank you. I do it out of love and respect for the loved ones that have passed. I enjoy doing this every year, and I was honored when Andrea asked me to put this together to show everyone how easy they can be. If you have the time, please try this for yourself. I know you will get great satisfaction from doing it.

• Beth - December 07, 2013 @ 5:02 pm
      4.1

Thank you Mary and Andrea for sharing your hearts and talents!
      I make 3 grave pieces every year as well, but you way seems much more manageable.
      I look forward to trying your method, just collected evergreens and holly today.
      Wishes for peace and a blessed Christmas season.
      Sincerely,
      Beth K

• Mandy P - December 20, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

Sine the greens are real, will these not die and look ugly or do they stay green for a while through winter??

• Erin - December 20, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

My dad died two months ago, and I just wanted to thank you for posting these instructions. I know making this with my mom will help her through our first Christmas without him. Appreciate your instructions and Merry Christmas!

• Savings Lifestyle: Andrea - December 21, 2011 @ 9:02 am
      6.1

Erin, I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. Christmas and Holidays are always a tough time. I hope you and your mom enjoy making this together. I was just talking to my mom this week about Dad’s grave blanket since my Aunt just finished it. It has blue in it again and she commented “I always want the blue for the blue in your Dad’s eyes.” Their memory is in everything we do. Have a Merry Christmas!

• Maryellen - March 08, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

Do you have any suggestions on a base for Easter blankets/pillows? Is it still ok to use pine or is there something else you would recommend?

• Emily - November 15, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

I’d like to make one of these for my son’s grave. His grave is very small and the cemetery said the blanket will need to be 1′x3′. How much chicken wire and greens do you suggest I use?

• Jennifer S - November 18, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

I was wanting to pin this but it comes up as can not be pinned. Is there a way that I can add it to my board? I’d like to make this for a few family members and I’m afraid I will loose this link.

• Denise Dunn - December 02, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Your grave blanket is beautiful! I lost my daughter in 2009 at the age of 26. It was an unexpected and tragic death. I have bought her grave blankets since then but have been unhappy with them all. They do not seem to fit her personality and would love to make them. I was reading your directions but wondered about the layering part. Do you put layer two through the same wire spaces that you put layer one through or do you place them in other wire spaces? I noticed that you said to place layer two on top of layer one. I guess I just am not quite sure what you mean. Could you explain it a little different so I can maybe catch it better? I’m sorry. Thanks so much!