Love the convenience of instant oatmeal packets but not the price? Maybe the thought of all the chemicals, additives, and preservatives that are in the prepackaged stuff has you nervous. It couldn’t be easier to make your own- saving money and cutting back on extra additives in your food at the same time.
Another bonus of making your own is that the variety you can create is nearly endless. With the variety of dried fruits and nuts available you can find a favorite combination for every family member, or simply create a packet of plain oatmeal and add your favorite fresh fruit after cooking in the morning.
Homemade Oatmeal Packets Supplies
- 12 cups, Quick Oats
- 2 cups, Brown Sugar
Homemade Oatmeal Packets Directions
- Take 4 cups of your oatmeal and puree in a blender, food processor, or chopper until it forms a rough powder consistency.
- In a large bowl, combine powdered oatmeal to the oatmeal and brown sugar, mix thoroughly.
- Scoop 1/2 cup in a snack size resealable bags along with desired mix-ins.
To Prepare Oatmeal Packet
- Combine oatmeal mix with ¾ cup of milk, microwave for 1-3 minutes-depending on your microwave.
Stir in maple syrup, dried cherries, fresh strawberries, flavored creamers, fresh peaches, diced apples, pumpkin pie spice. Here are some flavor combinations to add to your ½ cup basic packets to get you started:
- ½ tsp, Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tbsp, Raisins
- 1/4 tsp, Cinnamon
- 2 tsp, Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp, Cranberries
- 1 Tbsp, Walnuts
Blueberries & Cream
- 1 Tbsp, Non-Dairy Creamers
- 1-2 Tbsp, Dried Blueberries
- Fresh Pineapple and Mango
- 1 Tbsp, Coconut
Banana Chocolate Walnut
- ½, Sliced Banana
- 10 Chocolate Chips
Buying a box of store-bought oatmeal packets cost around $0.35 per package. The ingredients to make your own is around $0.07 per packet. Big difference right? That is an excellent reason to switch to homemade!