Our first craft is Grass Friends. I thought this would be a cute craft to do first with the kiddos so that they can manicure their “friends” throughout the summer!
Here's what you need to start craftin' away for each Grass Friend:
- Old Pantyhose – the feet part of the hose
- Grass Seed – 2/3 tbsp
- Potting Soil – 1/12 cups
- Yogurt containers or cups/bowl
- Embellishments to decorate the face (google eyes, paint/markers, string for mouth, and glue if you use those items too)
Here's what you need to do with all that stuff:
- Take the feet part of the pantyhose (make the hose as long as you like – you can cut off later).
- Add the grass seed to the bottom.
- Pour the potting soil on top of the seed.
- Tie a knot at the opening with the excess hose to keep the soil and seed from falling out.
- Turn the panty hose feet side up so that the grass seed is now on the top (the seed will be the head and hair that needs trimming).
- Make a face on the friend (or make whatever your child wants to do).
- Put the friend in the bowl with water and wait for him to “sprout” some hair that needs trimming!
And, here's how much all this stuff will cost ya:
- FREE – Old Pantyhose – the feet part of the hose. If you don't have old hose, Walgreens is selling the bubble knee highs for $.33 each this week.
- $2-5 for 1 lb bag – Grass Seed – 2/3 tbsp. Or, you may already have some laying around which would make it FREE!
- $2 for 10 qt bag – Potting Soil – 1/12 cups. Or, you may already have this laying around too so another one that's FREE.
- $1 for 6-pack of yogurt. Yogurt containers or cups/bowl. Or, we always have yogurt in our house so this one is also FREE.
- $3 for embellishments (or whatever else you want your friend to look like basically).
Total OOP: $11 if you do have to buy everything, but this one is nearly FREE for us since we have the majority of the supplies already (of course I don't have google eyes)!
And, here's a scripture I came across that was fitting to seed and life in our new little friends:
Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so.
Enjoy making this craft and making the memories with your kids.
Please send me your pics when you get this one completed (it doesn't have to be this week – just work at your own pace!) You can email your pictures to me at ardeckard at yahoo and I'll include them in this post!!