Print This Post
I always heard people say that once you try homemade marshmallows you will never go back to the store-bought version. Boy were they ever right!! This recipe for homemade marshmallows is easy to make and allows you to control the flavor variations.
Homemade Marshmallows Ingredients
- 2 packages (.25 ounce packets), Unflavored Gelatin
- 1/3 cup, Cold Water
- 1 cup, Sugar
- ½ cup, Light Corn Syrup (divided)
- 1 tsp, Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup, Water
- Red Food Coloring (optional)
- Equal parts Powder Sugar and Corn Starch (for dusting)
Homemade Marshmallows Directions
- Combine powder sugar and corn starch in a bowl and set aside.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan and dust with the powdered sugar corn starch mixture. Tap off any excess powder back into the bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 1/3 cup cold water and gelatin. Allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Over medium high heat in a medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and ¼ cup water.
- Bring sugar mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Heat syrup mixture to 240 degrees and then remove from heat.
- Once syrup has reached 240 degrees, slowly pour syrup into the mixing bowl with the gelatin. Beat on low until all of the syrup has been added.
- Once all of the syrup has been added, turn the mixer speed to high and beat for 10-15 minutes or until mixture is lukewarm and thick.
- Once mixture is lukewarm and thick, pour into your prepared pan.
- Allow to set at room temperature for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- To cut, dust a surface with your powdered sugar, corn starch mix and turn out marshmallows onto it.
- Using a cookie cutter or knife, slice your marshmallows. To help to prevent your knife from sticking, dust it with powdered sugar.
- Once cut, dust in more powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe will make approximately 24 marshmallows depending on the size you cut them.
by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on February 07, 2014