Beaded Candy Cane Ornaments
Children love making their own gifts for their loved ones at Christmas. If you are looking for a simple and inexpensive craft for your own children to enjoy this holiday, these DIY beaded candy cane ornaments are the perfect treat. They only require a few supplies to make, and children will enjoy manipulating the wire and beads to create some sweet looking candy canes. Take a look below at how to make your own.
DIY Beaded Candy Cane Ornaments Supplies
- Wire Cutters
- Red and White Beads
For our sample picture, we used a simple florist wire and basic wire cutters. We chose simple red and white plastic “t” beads, available at the local craft store for just a couple of dollars per bag.
Stuffed Apples Directions
- Begin by snipping about 6 inches of wire.
- Lay out your beads and model to children how you will be creating a pattern. You can do this in a variety of ways. You can do two red and one white and repeat, or one red and then one white and repeat. Or, you can really create any pattern you wish, using the beads in any sort of alteration.
- Place your first bead on. Leave a little wire at the end of the bead that you can then twist tightly around the bead, creating a knot at the end. It is important to do this so all of your other beads stay on.
- Now, start threading beads on, creating your pattern.
- Once you have covered the whole length of ribbon, repeat the knotting process at the alternate end. This will keep the length of beads intact.
- Bend the wire to create a hook or candy cane shape.
That’s it! Your ornament can now be hung up high on the tree for all to see. You can also make larger versions of this craft to hang on door knobs if you wish, or even make lengthier versions to turn into bracelets.
This holiday season, invite the kids in on the action with these fun beaded candy cane ornaments. They are sure to have a ball!
by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on December 03, 2013