Reese’s Cupcakes with Homemade Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
Print This Post
I love Reese’s. Add them to a fluffy cupcake and well, you pretty much have the world’s most perfect dessert! This recipe turns a simple cake mix into something so delicious! The homemade peanut butter buttercream frosting makes this semi-homemade cupcake even better! If you love peanut butter, you will love this cupcake!
Reese’s Pieces Cupcakes Ingredients
- 1 (18.25 oz) box, Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 (5.9 oz) box, Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1 cup, Sour Cream
- 1 cup, Vegetable Oil
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tsp, Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp, Instant Espresso Granules (dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water)
- 24 Reese’s Mini Cups*
*Not the colored pieces but the actual miniature peanut butter cups. Make sure they are frozen so they do not disappear into the batter.
Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 3 sticks, Butter (unsalted and softened)
- 1 cup, Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp, Vanilla
- 5.5 cups, Powdered Sugar (sifted)
- 6-8 Tbsp, Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin tins.
- Mix together in a bowl: cake mix, dry instant pudding, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla and espresso water mixture. Beat for about 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Spoon about 3 Tbsp of batter into each tin (or one large cookie scoop) and press a miniature Reese’s peanut butter cup into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18-22 minutes or until the top of the cupcakes spring back when you lightly touch them. You will see a small sink hole in the middle of the cupcakes due to the miniature peanut butter cups – do not worry – this will be covered by the yummy peanut butter frosting. Let the cupcakes cool inside the muffin tins for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes and allow them to continue to cool on a wire rack while you prepare the frosting
- Cream butter and peanut butter on medium speed until fluffy. Turn your mixer to low speed and slowly add the powdered sugar and continue mixing until well blended.
- Add vanilla and 4 Tbsp of heavy cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 1 to 4 Tablespoons in order to get the consistency you desire. (7 Tablespoons total seems perfect). Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. I use a Wilton 1M tip. Place a miniature peanut butter cup in the middle. Sprinkle Reese’s pieces all over the cupcake for the final topping.
Are you drooling yet? So simple and so tasty! Enjoy!
by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on November 06, 2013