Homemade Pie Crust
Fall is here and with it my favorite part of the holiday season. Time to make all of my favorite pies! Pies are typically reserved for holiday celebrations but our family makes at least 10-15 pies for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Pumpkin, Pecan, Fruit, Custard and everything in between are stars at our family gatherings.
This recipe is so easy and truly does show you how to make the perfect pie crust!
Homemade Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 ½ cup, All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup, COLD Shortening or Unsalted Butter*
- ½ tsp, Salt
- 2-3 Tbsp, ICE water
- Flour for dusting surface to roll out dough
*I personally prefer to use ¼ cup each rather than one or the other.
Homemade Pie Crust Directions
- In a medium bowl blend together flour, salt and shortening/butter with a pastry blender or fork. You want the flour mixture to be pea sized crumbles.
- Slowly add in ice water by teaspoons. I use clean hands and mix by hand but you can use a fork or spoon.
- When dough starts to form a smooth ball put on floured surface. Knead folding over itself 4-5 times to create layers.
- Roll out and place in pie plate.
- Fill with desired filling.
by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on November 13, 2013