Homemade Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies always seem so time consuming, and are preferably one of those Holiday treats exclusive to Christmas time. They can be quite messy too! Between cut-out shapes, icing, and sprinkles, your kitchen often looks like a disaster zone before you are able to enjoy one bite!
This particular sugar cookie recipe makes a small enough batch (1 dozen), that you can enjoy it’s sugary sweetness all year round. There’s no cut-outs involved, and you can sprinkle and frost as much, or as little as you want. They still taste great!
Homemade Sugar Cookies Ingredients
- 1/2 C Butter
- 1 C Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 C Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
Homemade Sugar Cookies Directions
- Cream Butter and Sugar. Add Egg and Vanilla. Mix well. Stir in Flour, Salt, and Baking Powder until thoroughly mixed.
- Roll and/or shape the dough into a log, and chill until firm. When it’s ready, start cutting slices not too thick, but also not too thin. Between 1/4 and 1/2 inch is just perfect.
- Once dough is firm, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut cookies into desired width up to 1/4″ (thicker width = softer cookies). For best results place on parchment paper covered cookie sheet (or a lightly greased sheet). FYI, If you cut the slices too thin, the cookies will be a bit crispy, but if you cut them just right, you’ll get a slightly crisp outside and super soft inside.
- Bake for 8-14 minutes – Time depends on thickness of cookie. For best results you want to pull the cookies from the oven before the edges start to turn brown.
- Whip up your very favorite frosting, and add a touch (or a lot!) of sprinkles to make your sugar cookies colorful and fun. You can decorate according to the seasons, are just use what you have on hand.
These cookies freeze exceptionally well, and if you pick the right kind of frosting, it will slightly harden to the cookie, making them even easier to pack away.
It’s so hard to eat just one, in fact, you might want to make a double batch. But who’s counting?
Try this easy homemade royal icing recipe too!
by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on October 03, 2013