World Vision | Overwhelmed + Overjoyed

World Vision Blogging for  Hope

Things have been so extremely crazy with our schedules lately. I feel like I haven't had time to reflect about T and my upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic. Two weeks from today, we will take a trip that will change our lives.

I'm overwhelmed.

Yet, when I start to process what is about to happen in our lives. I get emails and talk to people who have been to the DR. I hear about what we will get to experience, and I can't help but feel so grateful, so undeserving and amazed at how God answered prayers.

I'm overjoyed.

I asked T to share something with you. I want him to truly share his experiences during this trip. I am still amazed that we will get to experience this together so I want him to capture his thoughts. One day, he will look back and praise God that he was given an opportunity (I hope, anyway). Until then, you can read what he has to say:

I felt scared about going to a different country.The reason I felt scared is because I was afraid that they would throw me in jail and torture me. Plus I don't want to get rabies and malaria and all those other disease's. I read the book that the people gave us at pass port health and it said that bag snatching is really reasonable for tourists.

I am excited about riding a plane all the to Atlanta then flying to the DR. I'm excited about going on a trip with my mom and her friends. Another reason I'm excited about going is that my mom goes on all these trips without me, so I'm really excited to go with her. We get to see people that are less fortunate then me.

Can I just tell you that the missionary persecution stories really stuck with him! While that is definitely a reality, I have reassured him that we are not going into dangerous territory. But, we will see some stuff that will be new for both of us.

I'm SO excited to share this with you as well. For those who choose to sponsor a child during our trip, you will get a beautiful necklace! Quantities are limited since these are hand crafted by the fabulous Lisa Leonard. We will be receiving one personally, and also have several to give to people we meet on our trip. I love it. I just love it!

Lisa Leonard Faith Hope Amor Necklace

Two weeks, just two weeks. We will see all of these beautiful little faces in the Dominican Republic and our lives will be forever changed.

Oh, here is T and I after our vaccinations several weeks ago. I have to go back next week to get another Hep-B shot. He is all done with his! They were kid band-aids…whatareyagonnado?? :)

DSCN2207

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on April 19, 2010

• Molly - April 19, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

What an amazing journey you have in your future. I look forward to following along!

• Mercedes - April 19, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

I am excited for your son! I know he will learn so much and his eyes will be opened to the world.

Mercedes

• oh amanda - April 19, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

Can’t wait to meet T! This is going to be awesome!

a

• Rachelle - April 19, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

I will be praying for you all. How exciting you get the opportunity to do this with your son. I love reading your blog for the coupons and all the savings, but the best of all is seeing and feeling how much you love the Lord.

• Annie - April 20, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

Andrea,
    I’m so excited for you! Have I mentioned that I lived in central Africa for 4 years? With 2 small children? If you have any questions, I’d be glad to offer my experiences of being in a developing nation on a long-term basis. Just jot me a note…

• ClassyMommy - April 20, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

Andrea – I am so thrilled for you and your son to take this trip. I had no idea you were going to the DR. I will be very excited to read about your experiences – although I imagine it will be a heartbreaking journey too. Let me know about sponsoring a child!
    Thanks! colleen

• jennybek - April 20, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

Awesome opportunity for you and your son. I’ll be praying for you both as it draws near and during the trip.

• Becky (Nickels-n-Dimes) - April 21, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

Andrea, I am so excited for you and all of the wonderful things going on in your life. How blessed you must feel and then to be able to share this journey with your son- amazing! I can’t wait to hear all about your trip and all you experienced. Certainly a life changing opportunity.

• Barb - May 03, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

I just saw your post and I can’t help but think about my 20 year old son who is leaving for Honduras on Thursday with a group from his church at U-Mich. He’ll be gone for 3 1/2 weeks. We are fortunate to attend a church that is very mission minded and since being in middle school both my sons have been on “mission” trips to the city where we live, to inner city Detroit & to places deep in the hills of Kentucky. Last spring, my college freshman son went to El Salvador and now Honduras. I can promise you that this will be life-changing for your son. Even at his age he will understand poverty & wealth in a way that you never thought possible. His heart will be broken for others and petty things in his jr. & senior high experience won’t matter to him because he will have experienced something far beyond himself. My oldest son will graduate in two years from one of the best universities in the world and yet his heart is no longer there. Rather, a fire burns inside him to help others, do justice and see lives changed for Jesus. I couldn’t be prouder and more blessed. You will too. Have a wonderful trip. As you said, I too pray that God breaks your heart to the things that break his. Blessings.

• B Poole - May 03, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

So how can we sponsor a child. We adopted a little boy from Guatemala in 06 and would love to help another child.

• Cindy - May 03, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

What a great opporunity. Wonderful! So LOVE missions and serving others. Have a blessed time.