World Vision + Dominican Republic + Me

Dominican Republic

I have been about to burst with this good news!!!!!

I am so excited to finally get to share that I will be going on World Vision's first blogger trip to the Dominican Republic. I'm excited, humbled, honored, amazed and ecstatic about this opportunity!

As you may recall, we sponsor a child through World Vision. His name is Douglas and he is 10 years old living in El Salvador. The way God laid on our hearts to be involved with child sponsorship was quite loud, so we listened and we are beyond blessed to be giving in this way.

Now, the purpose of this trip for me will be to share my experience about how World Vision is impacting the communities of the Dominican Republic through child sponsorship. I pray that I will present it in the way God wants it shared. We will get to see so many things on our trip in May. I know our lives will be forever changed.

And, by “we” I mean these amazing bloggers going as well:

Can I just tell you that God clearly hand-picked these bloggers. I know them personally, and I feel so blessed to experience this with each one of them (you can follow us all on twitter with this link). They are amazing – inside and out! Oh, and I can't forget out ring-leader, Matthew of Jesus Needs New PR (hilarious author). He visited Uganda recently on behalf of World Vision. The stories he shared were amazing and made me weep on several occasions (and crack up too, especially when he was given a Chicken!).

God is helping his people through all of us! WE can make a difference!

For a long time, I have wanted to go on a mission trip. I saw myself in an orphanage holding babies. I hope to hold lots of babies on this trip, including my own son. Yes, the other exciting thing is that I get to take our 10-year old son, T, on this trip as well (no, he's not a baby, but he is my baby)! I sit and anticipate how my heart will be forever changed and know the privilege is so amazing. But, to know our son will get to experience these same things has me in awe of the Lord's ways – they are truly better than anything we could dream up of our own!

I'm pretty sure no other blog event will be able to top this experience. In all honesty, my blog has always been for God to use as He saw fit. This is a confirmation that despite what happens in live HE truly is in control.

That is all for now! Would you please be in prayer for all of those who will be experiencing the Dominican Republic on our trip in May. I pray that my heart is open, receptive and articulate as I share what God reveals. I pray that you will leave your heart open as well.

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on March 08, 2010

• [email protected] - March 08, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

That is so awesome Andrea!! I read Amanda’s post earlier today & was so happy for you guys … such a great group of women for an awesome cause!! You’ll be in my prayers:)

• Andrea Deckard - March 08, 2010 @ 1:41 pm
      1.1

Thanks, Mandi! I’m so excited especially given the other great people going!!

• Karen Osler - March 08, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

I just got back from the DR having crossed into Haiti that way. We sponsor some kids in Haiti (through Haitian Christian Mission http://www.hcmsupport.org )and Africa (Rwanda through Compassion Int’l). Child sponsorship is an awesome gift. The DR is beautiful and hard to believe it shares the same land mass as Haiti. I hope you have a great time. I assume you get to meet your child that you sponsor? That is a blast!

• Phoebe @ GettingFreedom - March 08, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

Andrea–I’m so excited for you, and the rest of your group!!!! A group from our church just returned from a mission trip to the Dominican. Hearing their stories was just amazing. I can’t wait to follow along on your journey.

• Jen @ 925frugal.com - March 08, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Andrea, that is wonderful! I am so excited for you.
    We also sponsor two children through WorldVision. What a dream come true to get to meet your sponsor child.
    I’m sure the Lord will do GREAT things through you ladies!
    Blessings!

• Kaley @ Cha-Ching on a Shoestring - March 08, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

Aaaa-MAZING! So excited for you all…and wicked jealous. =) Can’t wait to hear all about it.

• Sara - March 08, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

Andrea, I just got chills reading about your trip. I am so excited for you and T. I am also very jealous. I sponsor a child through Compassion. Thanks so much for your blog!! By saving money, we are more able and willing to reach out to others.

• Jenny from Mommin' It Up - March 08, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

That is awesome! I am so proud of you! What a great group you are going with, too, and that rocks that you get to take T. Go be Jesus girlfriend!

• Misty - March 08, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

It is so awesome that you are so involved in such a wonderful cause. I have a good friend who spent a few years on a mission in the Dominican and he loved it…loved the people. I’m sure the Lord will bless you greatly for your selfless service. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Sarah - March 08, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

Yes, yes, yes! Go love and be loved, and Jesus will be evident to all!!!

• The Diaper Diaries - March 08, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

So excited we get to experience this together. I think God is about to rock our world.

• [email protected] - March 09, 2010 @ 1:54 am

This is SOO exciting! And, to get to share this with your son. That is going to make it such a wonderful, life changing experience for both of you!

• Thrifty & Chic Mom - March 09, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Andrea, I am so excited for you. I have had the priveledge of working with abandoned children with AIDS and disabilities in Kingston, Jamaica and the memories still haunt me and bring me such joy. You will be forever changed in a wonderful way. Your son is so lucky that his mother sees the value is caring for those in need and that he gets to experience it as well. I can’t wait to read your posts! On another note I went to the DR on my honeymoon and it is so beautiful. I hope you speak some spanish ;)

• Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting - March 09, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Andrea, I am so proud of you! And I totally teared up when I read you are taking your son with you. I, too, have a 10-year old, and the idea of taking him to do great things like this, and witness it all first hand is just life-changing and amazing. Congratulations! Like I told Amanda, you will do WONDERFUL things, you already are! :)

Miss you, honey!

• Kristin - April 03, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

This sounds like an amazing journey, and it’s so wonderful that your son is going to be able tos hare it with you at such a young age; it will be an experience that will shape the rest of his life in a way that words alone couldn’t do. I pray for your safety and for the Lord to work through you to accomplish all that He sees fit. I hope that someday He allows me to be well enough and have the opporutnity and resources to someday make some sort of mission trip; I want so much be to able to do something like this before my time on this earth is over. I’m so happy for those of you who do get to fulfill these dreams :)

I’m going to be pushing the March of Dimes event I spoke with you about before til June to allow me to make more PR contacts and put a little more thought into the logistics, so I’ll e-mail you about all of that when you’ve had a chance to return and recuperate. Sorry to get off topic about that.

I’m happy that the Lord works t hrough such wonderful people like you! I have more admiration for you than you know, and I will keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers.