A *Crafty* Clean-Up

I enjoy when the kids play outside. I’ll be honest: there is very little clean up with wet clothes. Pop them in the dryer and we’re all set! But, when we do indoor crafts like I did with our scrapbooking last week, I want them to be creative without my worries over the clean up afterwards. Especially when our boys like to draw *outside* the lines!

I have a solution!

Several years ago, I learned a thrifty tip to reuse paper grocery bags during craft time with the kiddos. We line the table, or wherever they are being messy, with paper grocery bags. I actually bought a large roll of brown Kraft Paper at Sam’s club so we are well supplied (it was inexpensive surprisingly). Before I found the paper to stockpile, I would request paper grocery bags during shopping and use those to prevent crafting mishaps.

The other day we created our scrapbook layouts, I lined the table with the paper in case the markers and crayons drifted off of the paper. They are kids. It always happens whether it’s intentional or not :) I’m sure you can relate.

Well, when we broke out the stamp with the messy ink, I was even more glad I had the paper down. Andon went a wee bit overboard with his drawing and stamping. He wanted to stamp everything. I see an Andon-version of Monet in his future. Only with ink and the number 3.

So, if you are like me and want your kids to enjoy indoor activities that are a little messy, get those brown paper grocery bags. The only cleanup afterwards are little hands. But, aren’t they so cute??!! That’s a sign of creativity!

Read more about how my kids love the snow, went coo coo for bouncy balls and helped to make double memories with our scrapbook pages all as part of my participation in the Campbell’s Winter Weather Fun project. This has truly been fun to document and share with all of you.

Working on these little projects with the kids has made me appreciate the time with them even more – even if we were snowed inside for two days this week! Having the bouncy ball kit maker has been a God-send!

So, do you have other Winter Weather Fun ideas you want to share? Or, quick clean-up tips I should implement?

Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup who wants you to know that 32 feet of fresh egg noodles go into every can. For lots of fresh ideas about how to keep your kids entertained and the chance to win $500, check out Wintery Weather Fun at DivineCaroline.

Divine Caroline and Campbells was the sponsor of several posts over the past month similar to this one. The thoughts and ideas are all ME! You can review my Disclosure Policy for more information.

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on February 11, 2010

• Sarah - February 11, 2010 @ 8:13 am

I just did a post on a “non-messy” (even though I do appreciate messiness in art projects) craft for munchkins…..

• Andrea Deckard - February 11, 2010 @ 12:34 pm
      1.1

Sarah, thanks so much for that link. I will definitely be checking it out!!

• K - February 11, 2010 @ 9:06 am

We also save the paper that is sometimes used as packing with shipping.

Bath & Body Works, for example, typically shoves several feet of plain brown paper in their shipped purchases. We unfurl it, press it flat and save it for craft paper :)

• Andrea Deckard - February 11, 2010 @ 12:35 pm
      2.1

K, perfect idea too! I personally love the bubble wrap for myself :) But, that is true we do get lots of brown paper in shipments now it seems. Thanks!

• Deb - February 11, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

I use a shower curtain liner for crafts… only costs around $1 and wipes off easily…. covers the whole table or can be folded smaller… can use on the floor…. fold up and use for the next time!!

• Andrea Deckard - February 11, 2010 @ 12:34 pm
      3.1

Deb, what a smart idea! I have heard about using shower curtains or picnic table covers for kids to eat on. I never would have thought of that for crafting. I clearly need to think outside the box more on crafting options!! Thanks :)

• Gina - February 12, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

When my kids were little we were always looking for ways to “burn energy” on indoor days. So I took a plain light colored vinyl tablecloth (could also use shower curtain liner), my sharpie markers and created an indoor hopscotch court. The kids loved getting to hop around and it’s a great exercise for developing balance and coordination!

• Chrissy - February 12, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

I have a suggestion for a crafty clean-up, especially when using paints and play-doh. Purchase a small inflatable child’s pool when they go on clearance at the end of the summer. When it’s craft time, inflate the pool and plop the child and craft supplies right in the pool. The mess stays inside the pool and clean up is a lot easier then removing paint or play-doh from carpet!