Nestle Family | Controversy and Clarification

Let me just say that I’m having a blast at Nestle. I am excited to attend events like this. It’s an opportunity to learn more about a company and share my thoughts on how I would like them to be a better consumer, in my eyes. There is work getting kiddos’ scheduled while hubs works, schedules to make with 3 kiddos and the fact that my amazing husband is doing it all by himself (I do love that man!).

If you are in social media whatsoever, then you have heard about the many reports regarding Nestle. I won’t get into the details on here. But, one allegation that I was happy to get feedback from the US CEO, Brad Alford, was regarding Nestle and their compliance with the WHO regulations. You can see Brad’s response in the below video (turn up the volume since it’s not the best quality with my iPhone).

I know people are passionate about topics, ensuring health and well-being of children in the US EVERYWHERE is something I am passionate about as well! But, I’m here to say that there may be more effective ways to communicate with corporations – blasting bloggers who choose to attend an event to bring more awareness to other issues is NOT the right way to do it. This, of course, is merely my opinion.

Negativity only breeds more negativity. I won’t be a part of it. I will choose to use my influence FOR GOOD!!! How will you use yours? Comment away, I will respond when I get a chance!

And, to a lighter note. The Nestle Bunny was cuddling with me last night – isn’t he cute!!

DSCN1635

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on September 30, 2009

• Katja of Skimbaco - September 30, 2009 @ 5:18 pm

Thank you for showing how you guys are addressing the issue right there where it should be addressed – they picked great and responsible bloggers to visit them!

• Marianne - September 30, 2009 @ 5:19 pm

Civil dialogue – whether you’re passionately for or against an idea, product, or company – is what is needed in any situation with opposing opinions. I think that need mutliplies by a factor of ten when social media is involved.

No one wins when we scream, fight, and tear each other down. Good for you for standing tall.

Glad you got your picture!

• Candace - September 30, 2009 @ 5:26 pm

I have no negativity towards you or the bloggers, but I do think some corporate practices are so wrong that there is no spin, no outreach, nothing short of a complete reversal and total effort to fix the problem that can make it better.

I just can’t see them as cuddly.

If you are aware of the issues at Nestle, do believe the accusations are correct? If not, why? If you believe them, what are you doing to make things better (since you are there)?

• kakaty - September 30, 2009 @ 5:34 pm

I’m all for civil dialogue and I have NO PROBLEM with these blogger junkets. It think it’s a fantastic thing. Here’s my issue that has developed over the course of the day. The attending bloggers are getting beat up on Twitter and yet Nestle is (apparently) doing nothing in real time to defend them. I’ve seen tweets today like
    “Best way to reach out to people is through social media. We want to answer questions. We are like everybody else.” SVP Scott”
    So why isn’t Nestle taking any immediate action to counter all the bombs being lobbed at the attending bloggers? I had no issue with Nestle before today, but I’m kinda appalled that they are allowing the attendees take all this heat for them.

• mommysnacks - September 30, 2009 @ 6:10 pm
      4.1

Katie, SVP Scott himself is aware of it. He has started answering questions on twitter under @nestlefamily. Nestle does NOT think it is our place to get the brunt of issues over this.

• mommysnacks - September 30, 2009 @ 6:02 pm

Candace, I agree, many corporate practices can be perceived as wrong by outsiders – I have seen that myself!

I worked in a paper company for years. Obviously, paper is a natural resource we were cutting down. But, what people didn’t care or want to know is that we planted even more than we took, and then some!

I have recently only become aware of the Nestle issues. Do I think they are all correct? No. Do I think they are completely blameless? No. BUT, they do have many great initiatives that we are learning about that makes a difference. I feel like I can only offer that opinion at this point until I do my own further research.

I think an apples2apples comparison of Nestle and other manufacturers of formula and cocoa beans is necessary. I am NOT going to believe (as the Gospel) a post whether how written or articulate it may appear. I believe information is empowering. I will gain as much information as I can to get clarification to try to make things better.

On a related post, I do believe that there are ways each person can get involved to ensure that children in these countries have a better future. I know some programs like World Vision, Compassion International and others offer a child sponsorship program. Sponsoring a child is something I (as in ME) can do to ensure that I am owning responsibility in the best way that I can to ensure that children have a healthier start and life.

• Casey - September 30, 2009 @ 6:14 pm

“I know people are passionate about topics, ensuring health and well-being of children in the US is something I am passionate about as well! ”

The issue isn’t so much about the well-being of children in the US, it’s about the children in countries who don’t have clean water and cannot survive once Nestle comes in with their tactics and samples.

• mommysnacks - September 30, 2009 @ 7:17 pm
      6.1

Casey, good point. I need to edit that – it’s not about just the US, it’s about all kids everywhere!! I hope one day to visit one of these countries myself to see first hand what types of hardships they have.

But, since Nestle has stated they do comply with countries’ WHO regulations, I am unsure of how how they are responsible for the tactics of those areas they do not having representation in having unclean water. I see it as a definite opportunity for Nestle, and other major corporations, to provide safer water conditions not just for formula but for general wellness in these countries.

• Bobbi Janay - September 30, 2009 @ 7:15 pm

I love the bunny, he was my favorite commercial when I was a kid.

• SewCalGal - September 30, 2009 @ 8:38 pm

Amazing how blogging has become a new news media. I know I start my day reading hundreds of blogs, and I want to emphasize start my day before I read my local newspaper or other news sources. And your blog is one of my daily reads.

While I wasn’t able to listen to the video you have linked (different music played), and I don’t know the saga of complaints on Nestle, I must admit I am a loyal customer of Nestle. Still, I like to spend my $ on companies that do the right thing and not just spend my $ (from my purchase) on a PR spin. I also like quality.

So, given I couldn’t watch / listen to this video, I want to say you raise some ? that I will try to research on my own. But I too, try to focus on the positive. While I love learning from fellow bloggers, I also realize that there is a “viral” power of the internet, that can frequently do harm that isn’t valid.

SewCalGal

• Tiffany - October 01, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

I think the video about Nestle’s cooperation with the WHO is quite sad. The gentlemen kept saying he was trying to find a resonsible way to market to these women and I kept thinking the responsible thing to do would be not market to them at all. They could in good concious decide not to even risk the lives of babies and seek to market their bad products elsewhere. As a mom I would not risk it… why should I expect anything less from the gentlman in the video?

• Mama On A Budget - October 02, 2009 @ 9:20 pm

Good luck with that. This Nestle boycott isn’t new. There have been women, medical professionals and activists sitting down with those lying death-mongers for more than 30 years… what exactly do you think you have to bring to the conversation?

They have been lying and deceiving new moms both here and around the globe, particularly in 3rd world countries where not breastfeeding more than likely equals serious illness and death to newborns for many, many years. And the blogging mamas are going to change that by hugging the Quik Bunny how again?

You’ve just lost another reader.

• mommysnacks - October 02, 2009 @ 9:33 pm
      10.1

Mamaonabudget – your reading is your choice and I respect that! What did I have to bring to the conversation? Well, we point blank asked them the tough questions that MANY didn’t want to engage in a phone call on. So, yeah, I asked questions and got satisfactory answers that I will share when I have time.

Also, I can’t help but notice that your recent post has you purchasing Healthy Choice. Or, the fact that you mention (endorse) Starbucks. Or Coke? Do you know who they are owned by and all the business practices for those companies?? Do you know who does PR for them? It’s all very interesting when you take a step back and look at a bigger picture if people take the time to look at ALL sides of the story.

Oh, and I didn’t breastfeed so I’m glad ALL the formula companies market in the US since I needed it.

I didn’t approve the article you dropped though because I won’t have traffic going to something that has attacks on myself in it (not the article necessarily but the comments).

Thank you for your comment. While it doesn’t agree with mine, I appreciate candor!

• Toni - October 02, 2009 @ 10:13 pm

Andrea-
    Very thoughtful post. While I am not sure who I believe, (my dh has been aware of issues with Nestle for years)… I do think that Twitter is/ was probably not the best place to have a serious discussion about allegations that Nestle’s business practices could potentially be killing babies in 3rd World Countries.
    I understand that people are very, very passionate about this, but I wonder if there is a way to engage Nestle (not a bunch of bloggers) in a more thoughtful and productive way?
    Great post, I know it was a tough week for you. :)
    Toni

• mommysnacks - October 02, 2009 @ 10:33 pm
      11.1

Thanks, Toni! I can honestly say they are issues I am now aware of and will look into. I’m going to share more about what I learned eventually. But, I know for a fact there was/is a much better way to engage in discussion. I appreciate the comment ;)