Church Shopping | Finding a Church

We are Church shopping. Other than a few new mugs and literature, there is very little that is like regular retail shopping. Other than maybe the stress, emotions and tears of the boys shopping with me :)

I wasn't even going to mention it on here. But, with me being a google master, I started googling things with people seeking out a new church (or just a church, in general). Not much was found. Especially with someone who is looking for a new church and leaving a previous church, for whatever reasons.

Paul and I both felt a tug that our current church home wasn't where God wanted us. At the beginning of the summer, we were chatting about it and both knew that it was time to look. For the most part, I would have been content staying at our former church. But, God obviously had and has other plans, which we're trying to figure out.

And, the tears I mentioned are not just for laughs. The boys are emotional! Each Saturday when we tell them that we are visiting a new church on Sunday, Caleb starts breaking down IMMEDIATELY! And, T, well, he's kind of neutral but is still taking it hard. Andon doesn't care (of course) as long as there is a super sweet nursery, he's in Heaven :)

I am going to chronicle our church shopping here. Each week, if there is time, I'll share our experience from the church that Sunday. I will go back and write posts from each visit so far (I will be leaving out specific church names since that is irrelevant).

The bottom line is God called us to do something. We are listening. After visiting several churches, I'm wondering what it is He really wanted. We want to find a home that offers ministries to each member of our family: Men, Women's, Children, Youth. Someplace where we can all be together, getting the spiritual nourishment.

No matter what, we will listen to His voice and call for us in this journey.

Photo Credit

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on August 13, 2009

• Kyle Chowning - August 13, 2009 @ 3:35 pm

I’m looking forward to your posts. As you know, I’m interested!

• mommysnacks - August 13, 2009 @ 3:49 pm
      1.1

Kyle – thanks! I’m interested in seeing the results of the new project you have too!!

• Shannon - August 14, 2009 @ 12:00 am

Hi Andrea,

Quick Story if you don’t mind. Years ago, a lady was church shopping. She visited church after church and while most were sufficient, there was one she really disliked. She visited churches for awhile and kept finding fault in every church. Her mind would wonder back to that little church with those annoyingly friendly people that she disliked so much. She kept seeing those people everywhere – the grocery store, the gas station, even at another church she visited when they were speaking about their missions trip.

For months she avoided the fact that for some reason these people were coming at her from all directions. After months of searching there was no church that she was ready to commit too. She decided last minute to visit the little church with the annoying people on a cold Sunday morning when it was snowing and she didn’t want to drive far.

Many years later, those annoying friendly people are her family. The best people she will ever know.

Your church may not come in the package you think it should. The people may not look like you think they should. However, you will know when this is the place you are supposed to be – even if you are stubborn and close minded like me.

Sorry short story turned long. I’d say good luck with your search, but you don’t need luck :)

• mommysnacks - August 14, 2009 @ 9:19 am
      2.1

Shannon, thanks for that story!!! We are definitely keeping our eyes open to anything. It’s weird but when we chose our former church, we just knew as soon as I sat down. We just moved to the area and it was the first and only church we visited! It was totally a God thing. I’m not expecting it to be as clear as before, but I kinda wish it would :)

• sharon - August 14, 2009 @ 11:05 am

Hi Andrea,
    I have never had to “shop” for a church. The churches I’ve been a part of have always kind of come to me, but I am interested in your plight because my daughter needs a new church. I’ll be watching for your comments on the process.

• JDaniel4smom - August 18, 2009 @ 2:51 pm

I can be a challenge to find the right preaching and teaching with a great community. I love my church. I remember the search though.

I enjoyed visiting your site. Please stop by mine.

JDaniel4smom.blogspot.com

• Marcy - August 21, 2009 @ 1:04 am

Great post Andrea! I’m looking forward to reading more about your journey. I have been a sporadic “church shopper” for several years now, and I think I have found the one even though we haven’t attended a service there yet (I go to MOPS there and have H signed up for preschool). I’m sure you’ll find the fit for your family. I think it is admirable that you are listening to what God is trying to tell you even though it is difficult.