Church Shopping | Familiar Territory

One of the first visits we made in our search was to a church I was familiar with. I know many people there and just felt comfortable stepping foot in the door.

Or so I thought…

I am an extremely extroverted personality. I say “Fake it or Make it” and that usually works even if I am nervous. But, there is just something about the holy spirit that will NOT let you do that! I was nervous with a knot in my stomach, until I saw that first familiar face…then I was a little relieved!

As I mentioned, I know several ladies at the church, so I messaged a friend (Nicole) and asked for times, details, small group classes, etc. We get there, smiling faces, warm welcomes, it was so nice! We didn’t have the boys this weekend so it was just Andon with us. We walk to the classroom to drop him off, he does great! OK, one bullet dodged!

We then try to find our class. Well, we ran into Angela (another friend) and she took us to her class, not realizing it wasn’t the class we had intended to attend (which was Nicole’s class). It was great anyway! Everyone was kind of around our age.

I thoroughly enjoyed the lesson. It was about loving your neighbor. Not just loving them and that’s it. But, loving them and wanting the BEST for them. What? I was fine with the whole love thy neighbor talk but now you want me to think well thoughts for them too?? Conviction – I’ll admit it!

Throughout each visit, I know we will learn something. Something that God wants to reveal to us in just the right time. This take away was about love. I know about agape love, of course. I’ve heard many sermons on agape love, but hearing it in the context of not just loving but wanting the best made me see it in a different light. But, that made me realize that I need to show agape love to even those that I’m not too keen on having a love feast with KWIM? I’m just being honest here!!!

Anyhoo, the service was different since it was a graduation (as in Senior graduates) sermon led by the Youth Pastor. We are definitely going to go back and visit again so the boys can experience the classes. Being around familiar faces did make it feel welcoming – but then again, the Holy Spirit made us feel welcome too!!

On to loving more…and to the next church…

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on August 23, 2009

• sara m. - August 25, 2009 @ 10:20 am

We’re looking around for a church, too. We live in the same area as you , so i would love it if you would share some of the church names or at least denominations you’re trying out.

• mommysnacks - August 25, 2009 @ 12:13 pm
      1.1

Sara, I will definitely email you! I am going to keep the names private on here just because our needs are definitely not right for everyone. There are so many aspects to a church that I’m not even sharing from our experiences – it will simply take too much to write up! But, please email me too if you see one that may be of interest if I don’t remember to email you. I will share that this specific church is West Chester Nazarene. And, we are definitely going back since, as I mentioned, I have many friends there and actually attend MOPS there too (consider joining up too!).

• Charity - August 25, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

Hello, I have been following your blog for over a year now and love it. I would love to welcome you to our church to visit. It is called Eastgate Community Church, you can look it up on the web. Thank you for such a great blog you help so many people. God bless.

• mommysnacks - August 25, 2009 @ 2:12 pm
      2.1

Charity, thank you so much for the invitation!!!

• Jenny - August 25, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

I would love to see you check out Crossroads Community Church. It changed my life!! It can feel really big so if you are interested, you can email me and I would love to meet you there and shrink it up for you. Our kids think that going to Kids’ Club on the weekends is a huge treat. Thanks for being a blessing in my life!

• mommysnacks - August 26, 2009 @ 9:12 am
      3.1

Jenny, I appreciate the invitation!!! I really, truly do!

• Joel - August 29, 2009 @ 11:26 pm

I thought I spotted you at our church recently in Lebanon. I trust that you guys will find a place where you know you belong.

• mommysnacks - August 30, 2009 @ 9:40 am
      4.1

Joel – we sure were! And, we will be returning too!!

• Jenni - September 07, 2009 @ 1:54 am

Sorry to be so late to comment, but I can’t help myself. This topic is so near and dear to my heart, because we are living this right now too. We just moved to Portland, OR from Seattle, WA, so we’re trying to find a new church home. It can be so difficult! Luckily, my husband is here to help this time (previously he’s been deployed, and a new church is a very lonely place to be without family!!) I think we may have found one today, but we’ll have to go back a few times. But, I have hope!

I totally understand the fake it mentality…I always try to dress extra nice when I visit just to make sure I come off as ‘with it’ as I can. Shallow, I know, but it’s so hard to walk into a new church where everyone else is already buddy buddy!

Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you find out where you’re supposed to plug in soon :)