BlogHer 09 Recap

WE

Photo Credit: Jenny @ Mommin’ It UP!

There is so much to share about BlogHer. So many GOOD things to share about my own experience so I’ll try.

First, how can I not acknowledge the great group of gals I rode with to Chicago. It was fun, it was fun in February during our Blissdom Conference trip. We just have fun. We make our own party. What can I say…we really are *kind of* a Big deal :)

Sleep

I got to sleep (and oogle) over my roomies, Jill, Carrie and Jenny. Jill is preggo and I got to see her in her spanx maternity wear. Yes, they make them…very interesting but preggos do need smoothing too! Jenny did my eye make-up every night cause she just rocks like that. Plus, I’m just not very good at it. And, Carrie and I slept together. I swore I would never do that, but I did. She didn’t spoon me at all (while I was conscience anyway).

People/Relationships

I met and hugged so many people! Seriously, I was amazed at the cool people I met. So many that I can’t begin to list them cause I know I would leave someone out! This was BY FAR the best part of the conference!!! Even if it meant waking up at 6 AM to run/walk a 5k to ensure I met a few ;)

I’m sure the people who like to create controversy were there too. I wasn’t on a mission to seek them out. I mean, why would I?? I was all about having a great experience. And, let me tell you it was FUN despite what you may have heard.

Swag/Products

We got stuff – lots of stuff!!! I didn’t elbow anyone to get it either! I had no problem accepting any of this swag. I was extremely surprised that when I walked to the Kodak table at the Social Luxe party and saw an HD card. I was so excited to get that! Well, then Nancy said, “Um, you actually have a camcorder in your swag bag” and I was all like “NO WAY!!!”

It was and still is just beyond me that a company would offer us (and that’s 100′s of us) something like that. I mean, I know moms and women rule, and we can provide some great word of mouth or even blog marketing (paid vs earned – the great debate continues on!!). But, still – I guess I’m a little green with that kinda thing. I was thankful for everything I received and appreciate each company who took their time to be with us and share some cool stuff they have going on.

PR/Relationships

I met a lot of PR professionals. Many whom I have worked with before and it was cool to see again. Many are new contacts for me and I am excited to work with. Why? Because they are just nice business professionals. That makes me smile. I’m interested in seeing what projects we can work on together!

My philosophy on PR is I want to be a partner. I want to add value. If there is not a fit for me, my voice, and my audience then I will pass on the opportunity. Or, better yet, I will pass them on to someone who I know will be a better fit. I was glad to hear the same ideologies from them!

Sessions

The sessions at BlogHer were *meh.* I attended one and all I heard was a regurgitation of what the bloggers on the panel write on their blogs on a daily basis. Why would I pay to hear them speak the same stuff they write about that I don’t even read anyway? Honestly, the PR folks on the panel provided me with more value, and even a few commenters. There is more value in having content experts rather than bloggers pushing their own sites as examples on “how to do things right.” Again, there is no rule book on blogging.

In saying that, I will say I didn’t attend BlogHer for the sessions. I attended for the amazing people – bloggers, PR, Potato Heads, you name it. There were some very cool people I met. There were also people I didn’t get to meet that were cool (cause I talk to them on twitter and I know they are).

2010

Also, I won a BlogHer 2010 Pass from Frito-Lay as part of my participation in the A Woman’s World Campaign!!! It will be in NYC and I am so excited to go!! As it is now, the next conference for me will be Blissdom 2010. I really strive to keep my blogging/family life balanced so I have to miss out on a few cool conferences in between.

That’s that! I had fun and if you haven’t gone to a conference before, I know you would have too! There are great people in this community that is all about helping each other – building up one another – encouraging and inspiring! Those people are inclusive, will invite you to sit down with them at lunch, or come out to have a drink at a very late hour. There are SO MANY of those people…good apples, I tell ya…LOTS of them!

Again, I am very thankful to Disney and Cozi for their generous sponsorship. I had a blast at the Disney Cocktail Reception. We are even strategizing our own return visit even though several of them are going soon :( Thanks for some more great memories!!!

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on July 30, 2009

• Christine - July 30, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

I really like your attitude towards blogging. I just started my own (yesterday) and I am looking forward to putting myself out there in the blogging world!

• mommysnacks - July 30, 2009 @ 2:03 pm
      1.1

Christine, thanks!!! You will get so much out of it!!

• Emily from Mommin It Up - July 30, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

You know what I like best about that picture? I remember Jenny taking it, but I don’t remember if my hand is in there or who else’s was… which is great because it represents us all :)

• mommysnacks - July 30, 2009 @ 2:04 pm
      2.1

Em, you’re in it. See the disjointed pinky finger (mine by the way) – you are standing to my right :) That’s what I loved that picture cause it shows we are a power in ONE!

• Jenny from Mommin' It Up! - July 30, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

I love you lots! Even though you *did* win the BlogHer 10 pass GRR! :) Here’s to many more conferences together!

• Jen @ One Moms World - July 30, 2009 @ 2:23 pm

And this post my dear is why I love you! It was really a super fun conference. It’s genuine down to earth bloggers like you that make this such a fun blogging community.

• Amanda @ High Impact Mom - July 30, 2009 @ 2:53 pm

Great recap Andrea! Well said. Just about summed up the experience for me too. Loved meeting you and spending a bit of time with you! Hope to see you at Blissdom!

• Nicole @ Being Frugal Is Fabulous - July 30, 2009 @ 8:05 pm

That sounds so amazing and I am glad I read your perspective because I think it is the most real perspective I have read. I am going to make it to a conference someday and I can’t wait!

• workout mommy - July 30, 2009 @ 10:02 pm

I’m so glad I got a chance to meet you at the 5k. I’m going to be following your tips closely so I can start saving my money. (to help pay for my therapy bills that come with raising 2 –almost 3–crazy boys!) :)

• mommysnacks - July 31, 2009 @ 9:39 am
      7.1

Workout Mommy – it was great meeting you! And, we are in the same boat with the 3 boys (even though you barely look preggy with that #3). So, when we get eaten out of house/home one day, at least we’ll be saving a little money doing it :) OH, and the therapy bills – THAT definitely too!!

• Dana - July 30, 2009 @ 10:55 pm

Thanks for the recap, Andrea. I didn’t get to go this year but plan to attend BlogHer 2010. So many of the posts I’ve read about the event this year have been discouraging though. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time! I appreciate your positive and grateful outlook about the conference. You’ve got me all excited again about joining everyone in NYC next year!

• Cha-Ching on a Shoestring - July 30, 2009 @ 11:42 pm

Sounds like fun times! I’m hoping to hit NYC next year…it’s only a couple hours from me. Woohoo! (Want to stop by and pick me up in the van of fun?)

• Marianne @ The New Frugal Mom - July 31, 2009 @ 8:51 am

BlogHer was amazing in and of itself, but being able to experience it with real life friends made it over-the-top.

And yes, I’m still BLOWN AWAY by the generosity of the sponsors/swag.

Glad you won the ’10 pass – need to buy mine before they sell out!

Thanks for giving me the encouragement to go – it made a difference.

• Ruthanne - July 31, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

Good recap!

I’ve heard several times that the sessions were “ok” at best.

Curious – is Blogher only for the “popular” blogs or can other female bloggers attend?

• mommysnacks - July 31, 2009 @ 2:53 pm
      11.1

Ruthanne – oh, everyone is welcome at these conferences. The whole idea of *who* the popular bloggers are. I’m still confused over who they are and how they acquire that status. I think we’re all pretty awesome myself and therefore we should all be together!!! :)

• Marcy - August 01, 2009 @ 7:57 pm

I’m still sad I missed out on the van ‘o fun but am glad that I got to see you again. I agree with much of your recap of the conference….the sessions were so so, but the rest was a blast. It really is what you make of it (and who you hang out with!) :-)

Hope we call all get together again soon!