Fat Burnin’ Friday: Fired UP with Inspiration!!

mommysnacks_fatburninfriday

I love running. Well, I’m sure you get that since I talk about it a lot on here (and twitter and facebook too :). I love the physical benefits I get but the emotional benefits far surpass any changes I may see in my body!

While I was out running tonight (or last night since I’m writing this on Thursday), I saw my shadow and I got inspired. The sun was hitting me in the back and while I was running, I saw me in front of me! I was watching myself move: my arms, legs, even my ponytail flopping. It was me – I was doing it all! It felt amazing and I was inspired!

Last year when I started my weight-loss journey, there was a different source of my inspiration. It came in seeing a picture of myself holding our youngest son. I was waaaaaay chubbylicious. Actually, I can’t find many pictures of me at that weight because I didn’t want to be photographed. And, as moms that’s easy to avoid since we’re always the ones taking the pictures. Realizing I was in avoidance was my source of inspiration! I had to get in better physical shape so I would feel better about myself and get back in the pictures.

As I started getting into better shape, my source of inspirationchanged. It became more about my lifestyle being different…as in forever. Hearing my kids say their mom is running or did a 5K makes me just feel so proud! Oh, hearing my kids say “Wow, mom looks hot” does make me feel pretty good (what, I want them to have a hot momma :). My kids are such an amazing source of inspiration. I want them to see what I’ve done and know that anything is possible. It may not be weight for them as they’re older, maybe it’s a course or sport. Whatever it is, they will have me (and my husband, of course) as examples to know they can acheive anything!

So, here I am today…seeing that shadow…I am inspired by where I was and seeing my steps ahead – literally! As I’ve blogged about my struggles and successes over these past 15 months, I am inspired by you! YOU reading, whether you comment or not – hearing your stories, your struggles, and your success is a great source of inspiration for me! Break out and comment sometime! I know this weight loss stuff is touchy to talk about, but it’s safe here. And, I won’t taunt you with pictures of ding dongs or pizza…promise :)

As you can see, I didn’t lose any weight this week. I exercised every night though and felt great! I have a feeling that next week the scale will move. Well, that’s assuming I don’t destroy everything this weekend with Holiday eating! I will try to refrain as much as possible (I said try… :)

Tell me, what inspires you as you focus on a healthy diet and fitness lifestyle?

Fat Burnin’ Pounds Lost since Jan 1-08: 30
Fat Burnin’ Pounds to go: 10

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Time for you to share your Fat Burnin’ tip and results. Feel free to grab the logo above by right clicking and saving to your computer. If you have shared your burnin’ on your site, please leave a link that goes directly to your post. Links that go to your homepage may be deleted. Please leave a comment either way – I really do like comments :)

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on May 22, 2009

• Mama Bird - May 22, 2009 @ 8:24 am

Congrats on losing 30 lbs! I will admit, the only time I step onto a scale is at the doctor’s office. I have never owned one. I always go by how I feel (strong, fit), how my clothes fit and how I feel about myself when I look in the mirror.

I am not fat, but I am not fit either. I have been trying to get motivated for months now…my little one is 9 months old…I have no excuse other than lack of time (without the kids) and laziness. Well, not really laziness, more like exhausted by the end of the day.

But what motivates me, and I know this is probably a bit shallow, but hey, you asked…is when I see these super fit moms on the beach with a posse of kids. They are boogie boarding and whatever right along side and they look fabulous. I see these women all the time when we are in Australia and I always think, “I want to be that FIT, hot Mom!!”

So, there, that is my inspiration. Now I need to go do some push-ups or something.

• mommysnacks - May 22, 2009 @ 8:33 am
      1.1

Mama Bird – seeing those super fit moms was part of why I wanted to do this too! And, it didn’t help that my BFF’s are super hot…I always felt like the chubby one in pics and stuff. I know beauty is more about what’s inside…obviously, that’s more important than anything. But, you can’t deny how good it feels when you see a result because of what YOU did. And, when my sons called me a “hot momma” well, I was grinning from ear to ear!!

Don’t be hard on yourself though because your little one is only 9 months old. And, if they are any like my kids were at that age, no sleeping through the night so exercise wasn’t top on my priority list! I did find that flexibility for my exercise routine at that age was what made me successful. My son was 8 months old when I started this specific weight loss journey so just about the same age as your little one. Just start 6 days straight in a row to exercise. Develop that habit and before you know it, you’ll be super fit mom boogie boarding past the other moms :)

• Candi - May 22, 2009 @ 8:24 am

My inspiration comes from seeing others succeed. Positive peer pressure to do the right thing and make the right choices. You’re doing great – keep it up!

• mommysnacks - May 22, 2009 @ 8:36 am
      2.1

Candi – thanks :) You can come here each week for positive peer pressure too!!!

• Rob Longert - May 22, 2009 @ 8:25 am

Andrea this is a great post.

I went through a similar situation as you and lost some weight over the past year. and a half. Knowing that you CAN go out and go running is great isn’t it? I remember when I dreaded it. Now it’s fun.

Seeing that shadow made you feel great, but it is because you were “able to see it.” You were able to look within and decide you wanted to make a lifestyle change, and that is awesome. That is exactly what it takes to be successful in whatever you do from weight loss to life. Having the ability to reflect on yourself is the first step in making any sort of change or improvement.

It takes a lot to do that, and you should be proud of yourself.

Keep it up!

• mommysnacks - May 22, 2009 @ 8:35 am
      3.1

Rob, thanks for your comment!!! And, I would NEVER in a million years thought to describe running as *fun* but it is!! What a great point on reflection. I think that is one of the best parts in this entire journey. I learn so much from each step I take…literally!

• Mom of Faith - May 22, 2009 @ 8:37 am

Andrea,

Thank you so much for being an inspiration to all of us. I’ve been reading your journey since the beginning and am always inspired by your honesty and tenacity.

Children are great motivators and can also be slave drivers when it comes to working out. Not that I have any experience with slave driver kiddos.

Keep up the great work!

• mommysnacks - May 22, 2009 @ 1:30 pm
      4.1

Amanda (Mom of Faith), thanks for your sweet comment!!! Slave driver kiddos..LOL – yes, they can be!!! I’m dropping your update here too so people can wee your weekly vlog! http://www.momoffaith.com/?p=1694

Let me know how you like the EA Sports game. I’m not an exercise *gamer* so I’m really interested to see how you do with it!

• Mama Bird - May 22, 2009 @ 9:17 am

Thanks for the encouragement. You are right…I need to just do it. I actually used to be super fit and have even done a couple of 1/2 marathons. I know that once I get off my arse and do it that I will start craving the exercise again. It’s like a drug once you get started. It’s the getting started that’s the hard part!

I will start this weekend!!!

• mommysnacks - May 22, 2009 @ 1:31 pm
      5.1

Mama Bird, you’ve done afew 1/2 marathons!!! I want to do my first one this year too. I’m super excited to do it! Yes, exercise is kinda like a drug – one with zero calories…then again, I don’t know if drugs have calories! LOL

• Ashley - May 22, 2009 @ 9:52 am

I love you FBF posts because a) it means it’s FRIDAY and b) it’s a nice bit of motivation before my long weekend run! Hope you have a great long weekend! (and let yourself enjoy some of those holiday goodies… ;) )

• mommysnacks - May 22, 2009 @ 1:32 pm
      6.1

Ashley – haha…Yeap, Friday may be a very good aspect of it!!! And, I don’t think I can resist much in the windy city…I don’t know how you stay in shape like you do!! Well, yeah, I do…you run!

• Lisa - May 22, 2009 @ 2:11 pm

I started with Spark People about a year ago and lost 60 lbs. Then the holidays happened. I”ve gained back 15lbs and HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO get back on track. I’m not sure why I haven’t been able to get my head wrapped around it again, but it’s so much easier to stay the same than it is to change, isn’t it?

• Lisa - May 22, 2009 @ 2:13 pm

Oops, meant to say that you’re doing great! It’s so hard to make a difference in your life and in the lives of your family. No greater reward than when your kids say something. Makes it all worth it.

I hope I will be able to start to run, nevermind loving it like you do, but one can hope.

• Kira - May 22, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

Keep running, Andrea! You’re doing great! I had another activity filled week (260 workout minutes!) with no change on the scale, but just knowing I was more active this week feels great.

My Fat Burnin’ Friday post: http://kiraisfit.com/?p=42

• Katie - May 22, 2009 @ 4:25 pm

Yay! Knowing that your not alone is a huge motivator! I’m running my first 10k this weekend and without knowing about 100 other people who have done one, I don’t think I would.

• jean - May 25, 2009 @ 10:39 pm

I do have a question for you mommysnacks!!! Did you always love running…I ask because I really want to love it…I know that sounds weird, but I want to be a runner and I am only at 3 miles four times a week and I do crave it somewhat, but I don’t love it…Have any insight!!?? Thanks for sharing with us your journey!!!

• mommysnacks - May 27, 2009 @ 4:18 pm
      11.1

Jean, no, I have NOT always loved to run! But, last year when I started – and I was 110% committed to losing this weight – running was what I decided to do. I had a treadmill and it was easy with a small infant. Now that I’ve been running for a while, I love it so b/c of the many benefits I get – weight loss being just one of those!

3 miles, four times a week is a lot! I don’t know how else to get you to love it…for me, seeing the physical changes it did to my body was the first reason I came to like it. But, feeling the way I do after a long run – my head is clear, my thighs jiggle slightly less and my soul just feels lighter. Those are just benefits to get me to love the road so much!

• Nina Peelman - August 03, 2009 @ 10:26 pm

Congrats on the weight loss! I am just starting to work off my baby weight and you keep me going! Keep up the good work!

• mommysnacks - August 04, 2009 @ 12:07 pm
      12.1

Nina – thanks!! Good luck with your weight loss efforts too! It’s so hard with a little one in tow, but it is rewarding. And, the other benefits you get from relaxing during a workout help me to be a better momma!!

• Jennifer - August 21, 2009 @ 10:21 pm

I read your blog all the time and I absolutely love it. Ihave been reading your “Fat Burning Friday” posts and seeing that you run and I have wanted to ask you for awhile how you got started. I SOOO desire to be a runner but I can’t seem to get to where I can do it. The last two nights I have ran very short distances (1st night from point a to point b, and then last night I would walk 2 laps on the track and then run 2 laps). I’ve got about 30 lbs I would like to lose so I’m not incredibly out of shape but running just about kills me. I have no trouble taking an hour long Zumba class (my absolute FAV!!!), doing Metabolic Effect, or hopping on the treadmill but running just isn’t happening. I guess my question is…how did you get started? How long did it take before you could run a significant distance without stopping? You have probably posted all of this before…sorry if you have, I just haven’t gotten that far yet. Thanks!