Fat Burnin’ Friday: Burnin’ with the Kidlets

mommysnacks_fatburninfriday

So, one of the greatest challenges as a parent can sometimes be fitting a workout in when the kiddos are in tow. Last year, I didn’t have a scheduled time I would work out. It was simply whatever time my youngest son would nap, which would fluctuate. But, I did it since Andon came into this world and have successfully lost 75 pounds. Is it possible – YES!

If you are in the same boat as I was is consider finding ways to get your kids involved in your workout. That can look like several things. Initially, Andon would sleep and I would run on the treadmill. As Andon got older and I wanted more of a routine myself, I would keep him in a gated area so he couldn’t get around the treadmill and hurt himself as I would run. Of course, when it was nice, we would go on walks and even put he and Caleb in the bike buggy. Um, HELLO 40 extra pounds – instant workout!

These past couple weeks, I started doing The 30-day Shred (I mentioned it briefly last week). Well, my boys have been wanting to hang out with mom while I’m doing it so I’m fine with it. While I do get a great workout, I’m always yelling to make sure Andon isn’t doing something he shouldn’t be doing (like sticking his arm in the toilet or climbing into the sink – all normal 2-year old stuff).

The kids do like to do the DVD with me. But, Caleb is kind of a whimp ;) He was like “Mom, man, my stomach is burning” or “Man, this is killing my legs.” In my defense, I don’t say these girly things around him. He doesn’t hear mom saying much during this workout other than hard breathing and screaming under my breath at Jillian while my legs burn :)

Here are a few pictures of me and the boys. I just love Caleb’s face in the one, like he is ultra determined to get flat abs. And, Andon…well, what needs to be said – it’s just pure cuteness! Oh, and then there’s me. Well, that’s just proof that I do what I say I do in my tweets and facebook – I’m making progress ;)

Caleb feels the burn!

Andon's version of a push up

How did you do this week? What do you do when you need to get the workout in with the kids around? Wait until you have time to yourself or figure out a way to get it done with them there too?

Fat Burnin’ Pounds Lost since Jan 1-08: 32
Fat Burnin’ Pounds to go: 8

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Time for you to share your Fat Burnin’ tip and results. Feel free to grab the logo above by right clicking and saving to your computer. Please leave a link that goes directly to your post. Links that go to your homepage may be deleted. Please leave a comment either way! *No Mr. Linky again. I still need to figure out how to get him back up in wordpress. Drop your link in a comment please :)

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on May 01, 2009

• Katie - May 01, 2009 @ 8:55 am

Don’t you love the Shred? I sure do! I did it everyday for 30 days and saw a big difference, now I do it a couple times a week or sometimes just do a few moves when the mood strikes. Last night Hubby said “Man, I can tell you have some stronger abs, your belly is a lot flatter!

• Delores - May 01, 2009 @ 11:19 am

Thanks, Andrea, for today and your response last week to my previous comment. First, I am done blogging in general. I have learned that it is just plain hard work and right now I have too much going on in my life to worry about it. And rather than feel guilty about not posting, I am admitting my inability to get it done and just move on! Anyway, I will comment here, though. And I just want to add thanks for all of your hard work on keeping up your blog. You do an awesome job!

Okay, thanks again for your response last week. It was very timely — and I am sure God was in it. I was at a point where I just needed to start again. Your post and a friend’s comment (totally innocent on his part — just at the right time) made me realize that now was the time. My husband started working again and I am getting back to a more normal life. But, I am doing things differently. First, I asked a friend and she is holding me accountable and praying for me. Second, I am not weighing myself. I am keeping track of food and water and am exercising a lot more. I still can’t do much aerobic stuff, but my foot is healing. And it is hard for me to get in a workout for strength training, but I am doing push ups and crunches every day, mostly when I come out of the bathroom! And this morning when I woke up I could really tell a difference. I am putting the scale up and will maybe get it down once a month.

My friend and I were just talking about exercising with the kids… it is hard! I have 6, and while we don’t do formal exercise together we do gardening and mowing and cleaning together. Plus, I am looking to work it into our homeschool schedule for this next year. I can’t see us all doing a video together, but I know there is something we can do out there somewhere.

Thanks again, Andrea, for all your work, your encouragement, and your awesome job at burnin’ that fat!

• Elizabeth - May 01, 2009 @ 11:41 am

Love the pics! You are a brave woman!
    I started my “journey” about the same time last year. I had my first baby in Nov ’07 and let me tell you I packed on the pounds! Since then, I have lost 55 lbs with my little guy tagging along the whole way. Right now to work out, I have started running again. Hubs bought me a Trek bike trailer that can also be used as a jogger last year for mother’s day-he was in the doghouse for a while for that gift. I have finally started using it-it seats two and is a little overbearing-but the wheels make all the difference during a workout. My little guy loves it because he knows after Mommy is done he gets to play at the park. I still have 11 lbs to lose-then we can work on a second baby! Unfortunately the best way to lose weight is stop eating so much and start burning it all off! Keep up the good work!

• Karen R - May 01, 2009 @ 12:32 pm

Congrats on the weigh loss! It’s nice to have work-out buddies.

• Kate - May 01, 2009 @ 1:27 pm

Good for you girl!! I thought you might also want to let you readers know, that on Cox DVR Free Zone (at least here in So Cal) You can watch and do a few of Jillian’s workouts for FREE!! I think its the first few days of 30 day shred, and a couple more! Keep up the great work!

• mercedes - May 01, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

OMG! your “baby” trying to do a push up is the cutest thing ever.

Adorable!

Mercedes

• Erin from long island - May 02, 2009 @ 12:35 am

Aww…how sweet! It reminds me of a story I think you will like….When I was little me and my Mom were together…a lot. I was the oldest (by 6 years) so this was before my sister was in the world. One night i was playing in my room while my parents watched TV. All of a sudden, they hear”And-one, and-two, and-three” in a huffy voice. My dad looked at my mom with a look that said “WTF?” And my mom says “I guess it’s time we taught her the right way to count”

Apparently I learned how to count from Jane Fonda while in the living room with my mom!

• Shelby Birdwell - May 02, 2009 @ 9:35 am

Andrea, you look great and I’m so impressed with your weight-loss this year alone!!! Your kids are so cute–love the pictures!

Are you at Disneyland yet? :)

• Tiffany - May 02, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

Working out with the little ones is the best.. :) My little guy is so silly working out! :)

• Tutti @ Tribal Talk - May 02, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

75 lbs! You are awesome and seriously know how to lose some weight. I’m so inspired. Thanks for sharing a peek into your personal life with your boys and thanks for all the hard work you do on mommysnacks.

• mommysnacks - May 03, 2009 @ 4:15 pm
      11.1

Jill, it is a Jillian Michaels DVD that you can do at home. I have found it to be really effective so far for my toning. I haven’t lost any weight from using it (I hope I will), but my goal is to use it to get toned and stronger. And, it’s nice I can get it all done at home without using the gym!

• Carrie @ MoneySavingMethods.com - May 05, 2009 @ 2:09 am

OK…the boys are way too cute next to you!! Caleb looks like he is breaking a sweat!