Fat Burnin’ Friday: Fashion Week Skipped Athletic Shoes

So, last week I decided my body decided I needed some new running shoes. And, since I think I’m.like.a.serious runner and all now, I decided to go to a running store to have them fit me with the best shoe for my foot. Little did I know that I would have to make a compromise.

I walked up into Running Spot to get some special shoe love…and, I sure did! I looked at the selection and saw many pair I liked. I told the customer service guy, Mike, my faves and he suggested that he measure my foot and all that fun stuff (I felt like I was 5 again putting my fut in that foot measuring contraption). He measured me and I knew what I would hear, “Size 10.” Ugghh…I have such large FEET!!! And, the other wonderful thing every woman wants to hear, “You need a shoe to accommodate your wide toe box.” Did you just say my feet had a wide toe box, because I’m not sure how I feel about that??

So, of course the cute ones I wanted didn’t *fit* my wide toe box size 10 hungongous feet! Mike then said he’d pull a few pair down that would squeeze in fit my wide toe box foot appropriately. I then immediately said, “They need to be cute and preferably pink.” He looked and said “You’re joking, right?” You know what I said (of course you do if you read me a lot), I said “Um, Mike, no buddy I’m not joking! The least I can have is some halfway decent looking shoes since I will be sweating and looking hideous when I’m running.”

Haven’t you ever thought of that?

You’re at the gym, sweating your badunkadunk off and then you spot a girl’s shirt, shoes, whatever and go home and google it (is that just me??). Fashion is fashion wherever we are. Yes, you can be simplistic with your sense of fashion. I actually am. But, I feel more motivated when I have cute workout attire – especially a cute shoe!

What would separate me in a line up of feet to make me be known as the girl with my wide toe box size 10 feet and my husband’s size 9 narrow foot? Well, besides hair on the ankle that would *usually* distinguish the two. But, even there, let’s be honest: sometimes we women tend to hibernate the razor in the winter, right?? So, ya know – the pink or girlie color would make that distinct *I* think!

So, you see my point – I want some cute shoes, and I got a pair that will do thanks to Mike’s suggestion (I’m excited to run in them!!). And, what I’m told is that women have never made a stink about the lack of fashionable choices that are also functional! I demand the athletic shoe community do something about this travesty – maybe we’ll have more women on the road if the change was made!!! :-)

Oh, and I still kept on those 3 pounds I gained last week. I need to change up my eating because I am running a lot and think that maybe I need to eat more. I will be logging my food intake next week to make sure I’m getting an appropriate balance of what I need.

How did you do this week? Any fitness fashion mistakes you see – joking or seriousness!! But, even if you don’t have anything on that front, share your results, progress, plan to get that badunkadunk into something even cuter than running shoes: a black dress and some pumps or even some summer clothes – it will be here before you know it!!

Fat Burnin’ Pounds Lost since Jan 1-08: 32
Fat Burnin’ Pounds to go: 8

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Time for you to share your Fat Burnin’ tip and results. Feel free to grab the logo above by right clicking and saving to your computer. Please leave a link that goes directly to your post. Links that go to your homepage may be deleted. You can leave a comment too if you don’t have a blog!

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on March 20, 2009

• Anonymous - March 20, 2009 @ 1:15 pm

just had to comment after reading this awesome post… and tell you that I feel your pain…. and to also encourage you that it could be worse!!! You could be me… !!! I too have been looking for running shoes and what do you think that they have to fit a size 10.5 foot with a wide toe box (and everything else)… what can I say I love to go barefoot all the time!! Okay, well anyways, no store in the entire mall even carries this size… so I had to order them online… and do you know how many shoes there were to choose from on the entire shoe buy website???? TWO!!! OK, tangent over… let’s just say I was slightly disappointed… I think that I am going to try a mens shoe… or maybe just cut my toes off ;)

• Katie - March 20, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

New Balances fit my narrow, flatter than a pancake feet the best. But they are usually NOT cute! I was so pumped that the last pair I bought had purple on it, yay! And I agree, even if I’m doing a workout DVD at home (seriously, check out Jillian Michael’s Shred. The pounds should come off!), I put on my fav workout capris and a matching top.

My sis (and racing partner) and I try to wear matching/coordinating outfits to races. Hehe, it helps that Target and TJ Maxx carry stuff at a great price. We having tons of matching running pants/skirts/tights/shorts from there.

• Kira - March 20, 2009 @ 4:11 pm

I hear ya – cute clothes make working out so much better! I splurged on a few new pairs of fleece pants, long-sleeved tees, and a couple of hoodies during one of Old Navy’s big sales last fall and that has made a difference when it comes to working out. I need to overhaul my warm weather workout wear (try saying that 3 times fast!) next, but am waiting for a) another good sale and b) to be able to buy a smaller size. :D

• Danielle Miller - March 20, 2009 @ 6:08 pm

Well girl, I have size 11′s so suck it up! At least they make size 10′s in most shoes!!!

I don’t so much care what my work out clothes look like. But I have to have a good pair of slutty heels to wear with my jeans the rest of the time. It’s hard work finding good slutty heels in size 11. Heck, it’s hard to find slutty heels. It should be a shoe category all by itself. Except most of them are stilletos, and I ain’t so much into that either. But without good options, I take what I can get.

• Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net - March 20, 2009 @ 6:22 pm

Ha! You girls made me laugh!! I was actually pushing a 10.5 when I went in there but I think he saw the terror in my face about my realization of having a wide toe box!

And, Danielle – I’m all about the heels too! Luckily, I found a sweet pair at TJ Maxx to accommodate these wide feet! They are the Cole Haan pumps w/ the Nike technology in them. Great price too! I do love me some TJ Maxx!!

• Jean - March 20, 2009 @ 9:20 pm

How much do a good pair of running shoes cost anyway…I would love to stop by the running store and get some shoes that were properly fitted for me…also, what do you runners do about foot/heel pain (or is it just me that can’t walk after a run!!!)

• Lori - March 21, 2009 @ 4:39 am

I work in an orthopedic foot store. We deal daily with women who have problem feet and want a cute shoe, but yours is very common, and not a problem in our store. Check out Aetrex, or Propet most of their shoes have a wide toe box. I have worn shoes from my office for so long that I can’t wear shoes without an arch support. My feet are very spoiled, It hurts to wear heels to church on Sunday for just a couple of hours.

• Lori - March 21, 2009 @ 4:41 am

And Jean…Try an arch support, they will help. Ideal feet or good feet have some really good ones. (trying to help, not promote) :)

• Cortney @ Onceamonthmom.com - March 21, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

You are too funny, but I do the same thing. I usually get frustrated because shoe companies don’t make cute shoes(pink!!) to fit my feet either. Brooks-not cute! But they keep my toes from going numb. And I have looked at what others are wearing at the gym and have been envious. So maybe not every one does that but I LOVE me some cute work out stuff!