What Beauty Really Means to Me

One more mention of Blissdom, I promise! And, it's not even about Blissdom completely, but just read along and you'll see my point :-)

I was driving home from MOPS this morning thinking once again about all of the amazing women I met/spent time with over the weekend. I am astounded at the talent and love that oozes from each of you – seriously! It got me thinking about the mountains of beauty that was present during the conference that would totally be missed by someone just randomly walking into the room.

Click here to read more on this Snack…To start, if you follow me on twitter, you will see that I sent a request to the fabulous Blissfully Domestic Style Editor, Jenny (of Mommin' It Up), and requested some sort of post on fashion etiquette for the weekend. And, since I think Jenny did this because several women were asking about it, and I am her sist-a (in the friend since, we are sisters in Christ – yo yo), I think it helped give people ideas that the conference attire was basically whatever you wanted to wear to make you feel fabulous. I did get the sense that people were nervous a bit because of their attire. Honestly, we're women and even if we do live our lives simply, getting caught up in the external stuff is natural (thanks to the world! Raise your hand if you want to be an alien, the reference as in the Biblical alien not like ET or anything.).

I can say, when I got to the conference, everyone could have been naked! Seriously – well, not the singers from Yanni Voices or Chris Mann because well…wandering away from that topic. Anyhoo – I didn't see one stitch of clothing that anyone wore! I mean, YES, I did purchase some new pieces (I needed them terribly since I gutted my wardrobe), but I didn't even care about what I was wearing. I was there to soak in the awesomeness and the beauty in each person – their amazing spirit!

To relate this somewhat, I'm doing Esther, the Bible study written by the amazing Beth Moore (she's awesome and has a wonderful gift!). In the book of Esther in the Bible, she is trying to win the favor of King Xerxes (he like banished his first Queen because of her mouthiness – let's just say it's a good thing I wasn't his Queen KWIM!!). As a way to win the King over, Esther had to be beautiful, but the thing was, it wasn't her external beauty with her cosmetics or clothing (cause to be honest, to win him the clothes didn't play a factor at some point – sorry, just being honest here). Esther's beauty came from within her – her spirit! I'm only on week 3 and I know there will be more that I glean from this amazing study.

For me, I think it's funny how God showed me this point when I really needed to hear it (His timing really is so perfect). I wasn't stressing over my clothes or anything. And, don't get me wrong, I do like to look nice and I do even think it's sweet if someone mentions they like my shirt or hair or whatever. (The sweet compliment is like a reward for the amount of effort I take in getting ready – since it's a LOT of work!) God was showing me that my beauty was going to either be seen or not because of who I am in His name.

I'm not sarcastic – I kid..NO, really – who me? Yes, I am pretty sarcastic and may joke about being fabulicious and stuff (if you read/know me, I'm guessing you get that). But, honestly, while I really want to make you laugh (and myself laugh since that was a point our Keynote speaker Jen Lancaster shared), I want to be fabulous in a different way: I want you to see my heart and say it's beautiful! And, if you're sarcastic like me, you'll tell me to open up my chest and show you and then you will call it beautiful. We will both have a good laugh and then I will call you a snot ;)

I saw a lot of that kind of beauty within this past weekend – I see that with my personal friends too. Oh, of course, I see a lot of people being ugly too (it creeps into my own spirit at times and God don't like ugly! SNAP). I want to see beauty when I look in the mirror, on my worst day with no make-up, hair in a pony tail and me rockin' my sweats (which is how I pretty much look everyday).

I really do look at others with that same set of eyes and line of thinking. Because, in my heart, my #Blissdom09 girls are beautiful no matter what you wore. You, my amazing readers and friends are beautiful! That spirit inside of YOU is what beauty really means to me…

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on February 12, 2009

• Kate - February 12, 2009 @ 6:47 pm

Wow! Fantastic stuff Andrea. Thank you so much for sharing it. Reading “I want you to see my heart and say it’s beautiful” choked me up a little. That really the most important thing isn’t it?

In the long run, I just don’t think God cares very much if I’m wearing clothes stained by my children’s hands that don’t match and are probably at least a size to small.

• thediaperdiaries - February 12, 2009 @ 6:50 pm

What a great post and SO TRUE. Although did you seriously not notice my boots? Cause they were slammin’ :)

• Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net - February 12, 2009 @ 6:52 pm

Kate – heak no, God wouldn’t care! And, a group of women would totally empathize and probably start tearing up about how they miss those days :-)

Jill – I saw said boots in a picture only. But, the dress on Friday night was beautiful! I’m going to Target this weekend to try and find it!!

• A Cowboy's Wife - February 12, 2009 @ 6:54 pm

Really great write up Andrea. As am I struggling with faith and inner beauty, I found your words comforting. Thank you:)

• Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net - February 12, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

Lori – YOU are beautiful and talented! And, you make me laugh…a.lot!

I know you’re searching and just never forget that God is always right there ready to reveal something to you! It’s sometimes hard to understand but when we “get” it, it’s awesome ;)

• rachel - a southern fairytale - February 12, 2009 @ 11:18 pm

Can I jump through this screen and hug you? because for real, YES YES YES!!

You are gorgeous because of your heart and your Faith and you. Externally, that’s just a bonus.

Cannot wait to squish you with love at the next BlissDom!!!

• jenny from mommin' it up! - February 12, 2009 @ 11:25 pm

I wish I had written this post, Andrea. It’s perfect!! I love you and I am so glad we are sistas!!

• Musings of a Housewife - February 13, 2009 @ 12:39 am

I so totally agree with this sentiment! :-) Amen! :-) :-)

• oh amanda - February 13, 2009 @ 3:53 am

Great post! I totally agree and even noticed the same thing—once I got there, I barely noticed everyone’s attire. Except The Diaper Diaries smokin’ boots, of course!!

• Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net - February 13, 2009 @ 4:49 am

@Rachel – I will catch you when you fall into my lap :0 You’re sweet!!! I’m so glad I got to squish on you for a short minute!!

@Jenny – I am sooo glad we have become sistas!!!

@Jo-Lynne – Amen, indeed!!!

@Amanda – how did I miss those botts IRL! Oh well, I’ll get to see Jill again and maybe she’ll bring the boots for me to look at ;)

• Casey M - February 13, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

Reading your words made me think you somehow (though creepy and unrealistic) were reading my thoughts! I need to remind myself daily that God formed me, loves me and has great plans for me…and he could give a rats-patootie about what I’m wearing or look like! Thanks for voicing my thoughts! :)

• Mom of Many Messes - February 15, 2009 @ 12:42 am

I loved this post, you definitely blessed me today! And since it’s Saturday I’ll add a song title to my comment–Newsboys “Something Beautiful”. God has made us all beautiful individuals! We may be a mess at times (physically, spiritually, emotionallY) but He has such an amazing plan and He Loves Us there’s no greater gift.

• Marcy - February 15, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

Great post Andrea! I too had a similar feeling…I stressed so much about clothes before going to Blissdom but once I got there I didn’t care what anyone had on either…I was too excited to meet everyone and to get to know them. I’m still missing everyone and can’t wait til the next conference! :-)