Finance Snack: October Cash-Only Diet

It’s back! Maybe you remember me going on this cash-only diet in April. We did so well only using cash for the things we always use so I’m excited to do this again! If you would like to join me in this month-long cash-only diet, please see the guidelines I will be following here. I can already tell you that limiting my gourmet coffee intake will be HARD. It has gotten a bit out of hand with everyday purchases (I know, I know) so I’ll be limiting that since I don’t want to spend my entire allowance budget on coffee!

And, just just like in April, I’ve shared my challenge with friends so they understand that we may be saying “No” to our typical Saturday night take-out (well, that’s just mainly the BFF – but they’re doing this too, right??). I feel like this is a great challenge to get creative for those dinners out – do dinner IN and have a theme of some sort so it’s about the fellowship with friends and loved ones! Oh, and BTW – this has some amazing results on any fat burnin’ you might be attempting too…less junk food and spending choices are good for the badunkadunk :-)

If you want to join, just leave me a comment and let me know you’re IN! This will be exciting and will also be a good motivator for Christmas shopping/savings coming up! We just might have a little more in the bank to spend or donate this year!!!

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on October 07, 2008

• Emily - October 07, 2008 @ 12:48 pm

I’m definitely doing this!!! We’ve made some mistakes with spending lately and we decided the only way to get back on track was to get back to basics. The only things we aren’t doing in cash are the bills we pay online, but everything else is in cash! When you only have so much in the envelope, it’s easier to curb spending and you can’t overdraw your envelopes!

• Kim Hays - October 07, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

What a cool idea!!! I try to do cash for my spending money: You know, xx amount for two weeks and when it’s gone, it’s gone.

• Kristie - October 07, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

This is an awesome challenge. I’m in for sure.

Kristie

• frugalisfab - October 07, 2008 @ 3:36 pm

We just started using the cash envelope system this month. I am so excited to see how it goes! I think it is going to be great for us.

• Anonymous - October 07, 2008 @ 4:03 pm

Hi Andrea, this is baldscreen. Great idea. I have started doing this also for groceries/everyday expenses. It really helps.

• mom_of2boys - October 07, 2008 @ 7:25 pm

I think this is a great idea. I’ve been doing this for over a year now. It makes you think twice about purchases. When you might have flopped out the plastic, you’re left thinking…do I really want to spend the only little bit of cash I have on that? It has really cut down on my wasteful spending! Can’t wait to see how it works out this time for you.

• Becky - October 08, 2008 @ 2:55 am

We’ve been doing this for a few months and we love it! It has curbed our extra spending so much! There is something different psychologically about paying cash as opposed to swiping the debit card. And, we are much more careful about where we chose for that money to go!

• Janet - October 09, 2008 @ 4:02 am

We have been using cash only since taking our Dave Ramsey class, but I have fallen off the bandwagon, I am in! This is great incentive to get back on track

• Marcy - October 11, 2008 @ 3:06 am

I am doing cash only at the grocery store this month. Baby steps, right? So far so good!

:-)

• kari - November 05, 2008 @ 4:13 am

i’ll be joining you! i’ve been thinking about doing this and i needed the boost. thanks!!