Diet & Fitness Snack: Fat Burnin’ Friday

So, I took last week off from running since I ran that 5k (my 2nd one just to remind ya :-) the Saturday before. I just felt like I needed a rest. This week, I got back at it, but it has been cold outside. I don’t do “cold” especially running in it! So, I hopped on my dusty treadmill. Um, it felt like it was January 2008 all over again when I started this fat burnin’ journey! I have been running outside since around April-May so hitting the treadmill again was a shock to my body! Which leads me to this…

Shock and Awe, Baby…Shock and Awe!

My body was shocked like I couldn’t believe! I have been running 3 miles per day without intervals. Now, I couldn’t even manage 2 miles without stopping. Granted, my treadmille is stuck at an incline of 10 (thanks to my kidlets). I was really surprised how that incline makes a huge difference even though I would hit some hills on my outdoor runs.

I am doing another 5k at Thanksgiving so I’ll train on the treadmill to keep in good cardio fitness. In a few weeks I’ll make the cold, dark, scary trek back outside to hit some pavement. I should be able to transition on a flat surface after the incline I’m running on (thanks to my now bratlets not kidlets).

I didn’t have a weight loss or a gain. I know this cold weather might cause my metabolism to go into hibernation so I really need to stay committed to eating better. I think that is what is going to help me lose now more than the exercise.

How is your exercise changing with the season? What plan do you have in place to ensure you don’t fall of the wagon and continue your trek to success? Please share!!

Fat Burnin’ Pounds Lost since Jan 1-08: 32
Fat Burnin’ Pounds to go: 8

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on October 31, 2008

• Marianne Thomas - October 31, 2008 @ 2:10 pm

Girl, we should try to run together 1x a week. Good excuse to *a-hem* run away from home for a bit!

As to your plateau, do remember that as your body composition changes (losing fat but gaining muscle), you may not see any change on the scale. You may, however, find your clothes a bit looser.

You’re doing great!

• Anonymous - October 31, 2008 @ 2:50 pm

That is soo awesome and inspiring! I just found your blog today so I'm new to your weight loss journey but in seeing your lbs shed to date it's fab! I am in desperate need of losing 30lbs myself and have started and stopped doing the following: running, doing The Firm tapes, using my Eliptical & yoga – it is pathetic! My husband has been running for a year now and has lost 50lbs, in stead of being a motivator for me, it makes me jealous, he has more free time for it! Thanks for sharing your encouraging story and I look forward to cruising thru your blog today to find money saving tips too!
    thanks!
    Sonia

• Andrea @ Mommy Snacks - October 31, 2008 @ 3:34 pm

Mare, that’s a good idea! I really need to join the Y!!

Sonia, I’m so glad you stopped by and left a comment!! This isn’t easy and it’s so much easier for guys (yeap, I said it). My hubs can diet for a month and be at goal, it’s crazy!

But, the method I use will work but it takes time. Honestly, I’m happier that it has taken me a bit longer because I don’t have to be as strict with it all anymore. It truly is a part of my lifestyle and I’m moderating everything!

Good luck! I hope you to see you dropping comments in the future too!!

• Jon, Lindsey, Alex, and Ben - October 31, 2008 @ 3:37 pm

Last year before I had my twin boys I lost over 40 lbs…..unfortunately with the pregnancy and now my inability to get out and exercise I am almost back where I was. I need to get my rear in gear and find a way. Any good advice on finding an extremely cheap treadmill? My hubby is in the lovely banking industry and is working 24/7 lately…so my only other option would be to buy a jogging stroller but it is getting cold so and it would take a lot to bundle the boys up for Chicago weather…Oh the joys of motherhood…lol.

• Mrs. Bargain Hunting Wife - October 31, 2008 @ 8:14 pm

Your are my twin! I just switched from outdoor to indoor treadmill running on my dusty, crusty treadmill which is also stuck on a high incline thanks to someone elses bratlets (I bought it used). And it is SO much harder. I feel like I’ve never ran before!!

• Jana (sidetrack'd) - November 01, 2008 @ 2:59 am

I was just mentioning to the hubby earlier that I’m going to have to refocus to meet my new weight loss goals. I’ve lost 10 pounds in the last 15 weeks by focusing on exercise; to lose the 15 additional pounds that I would love to shed I’m going to have to change my eating habits. Not nearly as much fun! :-(

You’re an inspiration!

• mom_of2boys - November 02, 2008 @ 6:39 pm

I can’t seem to take my outdoor walks when it’s cold, let alone run. I’m glad the temperatures are up a little more for the next couple of days. Hopefully you will have a chance to hit the pavement for a little longer run.

Glad to hear that you’ve got another 5K lined up. I can’t wait to be in shape to run one. I probably couldn’t run a quarter of a mile without being out of breathe.

Keep up the great work!!!