Diet & Fitness Snack: Fat Burnin’ Friday

So, after running my 5k and no weight loss last week, I started taking a hard look at my weight loss numbers. I want to break down my weight loss by month. Whenever I look at someone’s progress, I get inspired to see the timeline. While I understand everyone is different, even the healthy weight-loss recommendations are 1-2 pounds per week so I wanted to see how I compared to that but over the course of each month so far this year. The weight I’m reporting is at the end of each month and it goes a little somethin’ like this…

January 1, 2008:Starting Weight-Loss Goal of 40 pounds
January 2008:5 Pounds Down
February 2008:5 Pounds Down (10 Pounds total)
March 2008:4 Pounds Down (14 Pounds total)
April 2008:5 Pounds Down (19 Pounds total)
May 2008:5 Pounds Down (24 Pounds total)
June 2008:3 Pounds Down (27 total)
July 2008:2 Pounds Down (29 total)
August 2008:2 Pounds Down (31 total)
September 2008:0 Pounds Down (31 total/no change)
October 2008:Progressing :-) !!!

OK, as you can see I am totally into numbers with everything. I love to slice and dice them so that they actually mean something…it’s a sickness! So, the “so what” of this meant I had to do something with these numbers, and here’s my analysis:

• My weight loss of 31 pounds in 9 months equates to 3.4 pounds per month.
  • But, if you look at my weight loss until July (which was at 29 pounds), that is 4.1 pounds per week. Overall it’s a respectable and healthy loss that I am very proud of.
  • In the past 9 months, I have worked out on average 4 days a week too. I have tried (very loosely said) to limit my calories to 1200 per day but that rarely ever happens.

There a high probability that I would be at my goal if I followed the eating side. Eating is my biggest problem (as you have heard my ding dong stories and dreams). But, I did do pretty decent last week. And, as of this week, the progression for my October puts me down one more pound! Woo Hoo! Everything I read and hear tells me that losing those last 10 pounds are the hardest. For me, I’ll take a pound if that’s all I can get!

So, tell me how you’re doing. Have you taken a look at your weight loss numbers like this? What do you feel is holding you back in reaching that goal faster? Spill it :-)

Fat Burnin’ Pounds Lost since Jan 1-08: 32
Fat Burnin’ Pounds to go: 8

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on October 10, 2008

• mom_of2boys - October 10, 2008 @ 12:23 pm

That’s great! I have to believe that the last 10 are the hardest and the last 5 are even harder. I’m not back there yet but I’ll be prepared so I’m not disappointed when the scale doesn’t move. I think it gets to a point where the numbers don’t matter…it’s about being toned and healthy.

Great job on your weight loss this week and in the past!!

• Alanna - October 10, 2008 @ 12:46 pm

You are doing a great job. I have been working my tail off to loose weight but with the numbers on the scale not going down. Over the course of 6 weeks I worked really hard, lost about 23 inches total from all over my body, but the scale only went down 2 pounds! I looked great though and to me that’s what mattered. Muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less room.

• Stephanie - October 10, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

You are rockin!! Look how far you’ve come. So long as you don’t give up on your goal, you will reach it. I’ve just started to work on losing 39 pounds and I’m down 3 lbs this past week. I haven’t done the exercise part yet, but I’m going to slowly start adding in a walk with my kids in the morning now that the weather is cooling down. As I find more time, I’ll be on my treadmill more, but for now I’m taking it one step at a time. :)

• Anonymous - October 10, 2008 @ 1:20 pm

Once you’re in a healthy weight range (from your 5k picture, it sure looks like you are) weight loss (especially when done correctly) tends to happen MUCH more slowly than 1-2 pounds per week. .25-.5 lb is much more common and reasonable, especially if you’re eating enough to fuel all the activity you’re doing.

Basically, you’re doing a GREAT job and your “slow” rate of loss that’s going on right now is perfectly normal, safe, and common! The tricky part is just hanging in there while the rest of it comes off slowly. Hang in there!

• Tara aka "Mama Koala" - October 10, 2008 @ 2:05 pm

You are doing a great job! I gave birth to my son the first week of January, and set a goal to be at a certain weight by the end of October. I’m 10 lbs away from my goal, but now weigh 6 lbs less than my prepregnancy weight. I am dissappointed I won’t reach my goal on my self imposed deadline. My biggest hindrance? Not exercising. I just don’t make time for it–laziness, I tell ya!

• Briana @ Bargain Briana - October 10, 2008 @ 3:59 pm

You’ve been doing an awesome job!!! I’ve found the first 6-8 weeks are always the best for me and then I start to lose slower after that. My biggest hurdle is food too…I love it so much! That’s why I’ve been on a medical weight loss program and it has really helped! Once I’m done with that I’m going to really try to eat foods that filling but not high in calories! Keep up the good work!

• Suzy - October 10, 2008 @ 4:04 pm

I know this sounds counterintuitive, but as an RD I wanted to mention that if you are only eating 1200 cals a day and are exercising, you may not be eating enough. You definitely don’t want to slow down your metabolism by not eating enough!

• Andrea @ Mommy Snacks - October 10, 2008 @ 4:26 pm

Suzy – thanks for that feedback. I should definitely clarify while my calorie goals are at 1200, I never stick to that. If I do, I have absolutely no energy for the amount I’m exercising – that’s why I’m not sticking to my eating as much.

This is a good point to make since a program may recommend something and your body tells you something else. That calorie limitation was fine for me in the beginning but now it’s not. Our bodies change so much and I’ve found that my body and energy levels are the best guide for me.

Thanks for breaking out and commenting!

To All:

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments each week! This is a way to hold myself accountable since I know you’ll be reading. But, it’s also a way I can show you all that I’m a mom of 3 who has struggled with her weight her whole life and if I can make a change to live a healthier/more fit life – anyone truly can!

• Tara - October 11, 2008 @ 5:52 am

Way to go, Andrea! You’re an inspiration to moms everywhere. Keep up the great work!

• Jana (sidetrack'd) - October 11, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

You’re doing great, Andrea! I think those last 10 pounds are hard to lose for a couple of reasons – 1. your body releases the weight faster when there is more to lose, and 2. you tend to get a bit more lax on diet and exercise when you’re close to goal (at least in my experience). You’ll get these last 8 conquered, though, stick with it!

My biggest problem is eating, too; and I had a set back with vacation last week. Must work twice as hard this week!