Finance Snack: 25 Ways to Save Money

I’m starting to get more into Personal Finance blogs lately since we’re getting way more focused on getting out of debt and getting smarter about our money! Dawn @ Frugal for Life is hosting a “25 Ways to Save Money” post for all to share how they save. So, I thought I would share my 25 ways we save money in the hopes it helps you like the other posts have inspired me!

• Have a budget.
    • Stick to my budget.
    • Challenge my budget (what can be cut out, can we go a month without, etc).
    • Understanding our health benefits and utilize our company’s Flexible Spending Account.
    • Use coupons for everything! I use Sunday Insert and Internet Printable Coupons for all groceries.
    • Purchase coupons (or pay for someone’s time to clip/mail coupons).
    • Shop at CVS and Walgreens. This feeds my desire to get a really good deal while spending very little money – Win/Win.
    • Use RX coupons for new/transferred RX’s (and buying those coupons on Ebay also).
    • Combine errands to save gas and time (time should always be factored into any equation).
    • Creating menu plans and cooking from my menu plans (yes, you have to actually cook it).
    • Making foods from scratch (like my yummy noodles).
    • Don’t eat out as much. This not only saves money but it’s a necessity when you have 3 kiddos and are personally trying to lose weight!
    • Stockpile grocery and health/beauty items (and diapers).
    • Pay twice the monthly payment (or more) on current debt. This lowers any finance charges that would potentially apply.
    • Purchase next season’s clothing for my kids while they are clearanced at the end of the season.
    • Reading blogs and other sites on hot deals, ways to save and be frugal.
    • Bank online. This eliminates stamps I would have to use to send out payments.
    • Turn lights and other electronics off when not in a room.
    • Use a cell phone with pre-paid minutes (tracfone).
    • Saving aluminum cans.
    • Participate in online surveys. This earns me a little money while saving funds from my budget.
    • Get my oil changed per the factory suggestions not the oil companies’!
    • Shop online to earn cash back with sites likeEbates, BigCrumbs,Upromise and Swag Bucks .
    • Purchase memberships or annual passes for family activities.
    • Tithe and pray. Praying about how we spend money and giving back to God is key to making it all work for us!

If you have time, I would highly recommend going to visit Frugal for Life and read the list of others’ that Dawn has linked in her original post. You just might find your own way to save money that you never thought of before!

There is so much value in everyone sharing their ways to save! If you do make a list, would you please leave me a comment here so I know where to go read yours? I’m all about finding a great tip to help save our family some MOOLA!

by Savings Lifestyle: Andrea on May 25, 2008

• Sarah - May 25, 2008 @ 3:17 am

Hi! You visited my blog the other day and just wanted to answer your question. I have personally not gotten my 50 free photos, but I’m sure the quality is good enough for free! haha. Thanks for dropping by.

• Lisa - May 25, 2008 @ 12:51 pm

One of the bigest ways we have learned to save money latley – reading inspiring blogs like yours! So many great tips and ideas!!!

Oh, and we stay home more. Rather then going out for entertainment, we find things to do at home like play board games, cook nice meals, or invite friends over.

Great list as always. Hope you have a fantastic holiday weekend!

• Shannon - May 25, 2008 @ 7:02 pm

You should check out Dave Ramsey’s book “Money Makeover” or find a local class for “Financial Peace University” by Dave Ramsey. He is a Christian and a fabulous speaker/author. He helps millions of people get out of debt (our family included) and teaches you how to be financially free. It is a wonderful way to live!

• Denise Sawyer - May 25, 2008 @ 8:05 pm

Amen Sister!
        I would say your last tip is the “glue” that holds my budget together!

Great post!
        Denise
        The “Cent”sible Sawyer

• Andrea - May 26, 2008 @ 1:06 am

Sarah – I’m hearing that!!! I think I’ll give them a try!

Lisa – I’m so glad you’re enjoying the tips – the blogosphere is full of some great money-saving machines!!!

Shannon – I haven’t read Dave’s book, but I do follow the principles (snowball, envelope system, emergency fund, etc). It’s always great to hear others who have used him say they’ve been successful in getting out of debt! He is an amazing resource in the christian community!

Denise – we are just soul sisters!!! I had to include that because without prayerful consideration and giving back to God, things would be dramatically different for us – from saving money to every other thing we do in our lives in general!

• Alyssa - May 26, 2008 @ 2:58 am

Great list, Andrea! I think you are well on your way to becoming “like no one else” and living debt free!

• The Family CEO - May 28, 2008 @ 12:33 am

Great list! I always learn so much from other people’s methods. Thanks for sharing.

• kari - June 08, 2008 @ 2:48 am

thank you for your research and valuable tips. i’m a newbie at the blogging world, but thoroughly enjoying all your information.
        may God continue to bless all your time and efforts.

firstwehavecoffee.blogspot.com

• Debt Free Hispanic - August 25, 2008 @ 3:06 am

Love the blog Mommy Snacks. I love reading about how other Dave Ramsey fans are doing. Keep up the good work.

-Debt Free Hispanic

• Anonymous - September 03, 2008 @ 3:52 pm

You should change your vehicles oil every 3000 miles or 3 months REGARDLESS of what the factory or oil company says.

It will allow your engine to last longer, give you better gas millage and save you more money and frustration in the long run.

• Lavonne - October 09, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

My husband and I have started saving our $1 bills. When we buy something that gives a couple dollars back, we set those aside and DO NOT spend them. We have saved $800 since Jan 2009. When I can, I have secretly started saving my $5 bills. 6 more months to go and all we will owe for is our house-God willing :-) Being debt free is going to feel so great!! Love your blog and the things you have shared with us. God Bless you and your family.

• mommysnacks - October 09, 2009 @ 5:26 pm
          11.1

Lavonne, that is AWESOME!!! Thanks for that idea! I can’t wait for you to be deft free too! I’m so looking forward to it for our family.

• Lora Hile - August 09, 2011 @ 3:23 am

I save alot of money by refilling my ink cartridges with food coloring (the liquid kind, not the gel kind). Red, Blue, Yellow and Black, Yep you can by black food coloring too. I have been refilling my cartridges for years. And I often have coupons for those food coloring i by and that saves me even more : ) This site shows you how to do it. http://www.flixya.com/video/539066/Save-Money-On-Printing-With-Food-Colouring